Sunday, 2 August 2026

Am not after carp

Date fished 2/8/2026

6.30am until 10am 

The best decisions are made at silly o'clock. 4.48am and I decided I would go fishing. 

Float rod, sweetcorn, Tilcon.

In truth, I was after carp. Well, crucian carp. I have wanted to catch one for ages as I have never caught one. 


I set up in a swim I have never fished before. I fed some bait and cast out the float. It wasn't long and it sailed away. Striking into what I thought would be an ide. It was not. It headed for the far bank! A proper carp had picked up my single grain of corn on a size 18 and was heading out of Gateshead. I played it around in the open water, fortunately I was not fishing close up to the bushes and soon it was in the net.



7lb 1oz

More feed and it was a bite a chuck. Have caught many bream from the lake but not many smaller, skimmer sized bream. 


Mostly roach followed and a few ide and tench. Playing one fish, I saw a flash of gold. Was this it? 

My first ever crucian. I was buzzing.



I stopped the clicker on 24 as my wrist was sore and I needed to rest. I am sure I would of caught a good few more fish, but sometimes you have to settle with what you have! 

A perfect morning. 

4 comments:

  1. Well done on your first crucian. Years ago when there were still farm ponds we used to catch loads but they're getting rather rare now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely getting rare. Was nice to get one unexpected. I didn't really change anything apart from tye peg. Maybe they live here all the time.

      Delete
  2. Nice carp and even nicer crucian. Congratulations, always nice to tick a new species off (and they are always a PB).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a pb. Didn't put a number on it. Thanks though, was a great morning session.

      Delete