Saturday 3 August 2019

Itch scratched!

Date fished 3/8/2019
6.50am until 16.30

After the blank on the Wharfe, where Aidan and I both missed fish, I was keen today to catch some fish. This called for a visit to a stillwater. I decided on Moulton lane pond. I managed to catch a few different species last time so was hoping for more of the same.



I decided to leave early doors and see if I could catch them sleeping. First cast, my rod twitched and a little carp was caught napping.



Second cast and a bigger carp wanted breakfast. Barely 7am and I was happy to have caught. At 7lb 12oz it was a good sized fish for the venue, where they actually go to 27lb!



It seemed it was not just the fish that were now waking up. Other anglers started to fill the pegs. After 20 mins on my own, there was now maybe 20 of us trying our luck. It is a very different scene to the quiet river and I enjoy both! It was good to see kids, families and groups of people enjoying a day on the bank.

My tactics for today were Hybrid feeder and pellets. It was a simple, tried and tested approach. Casting to different areas in front of me, I steadily caught bream, skimmers and more carp. It was soon a squeeze as anglers all cast to similar looking spots. I thought I was going to add a Yorkshireman to the list of captures!





I cast towards some reeds, hoping for something big. My rod jumped up off the rests, the bait runner spinning. This was it, I thought. Only to wind in a roach of about 5 oz, he must have had 3 weetabix! I didnt even take a picture. Next cast to the same place and the rod twitched about an inch. I struck for the next twin Roach, but my prize was a much better fish....




It was now afternoon and 2 older anglers came and sat either side of me. This was when the social started. We were soon all chatting and having a good giggle. Mickey taking, laughing and making a racket. Even sharing bait, some home made curried pellets, smelt delish and the fish liked them too!!

Carrying on, I caught a brown goldfish, or so I thought. One angler said it's a crucian, and Ellis also agrees, he has only seen the picture. Any advice is welcome!



As I began to feed up an area close in, I dropped my feeder in hoping to get a Tench. Sure enough, a little Tinca obliged.




Packing up earlier than the feeding fish would have expected, I was ready to go. I had wanted to catch fish and I had. My itch was scratched! I hadn't expected to enjoy so much and have "bantz" too.
Fishing really is full of surprises!



No comments:

Post a Comment