Sunday 12 July 2020

Red or dead

Date fished 12/7/2020
5.45am until 1pm

I was given some advice on Facebook last time I fished Bowesfield on the Tees, about a peg and location. Never looking a gift horse in the mouth, I headed off to use this imparted knowledge.

Alarm set for 4am, it was an early start. I decided to go early and and see if I could catch the fish napping.


I was parked up, on the bank and cast in just before ten to six. I was informed that I should fish peg 127 and at 20 turns out. So, that's what I was doing. I had about a pint of dead maggots and casters that I had frozen from last trip and a bait box full of groundbait.



Second cast and I had a bite. It was practically a bite every cast from then until I finished. I didn't catch a net full of fish though!
I started with two white maggots, a white and a red, a white and a caster and then a caster. It was a couple of hours until I realised I had not tried my (and your ? fave) combo. My dad does it, Ellis does it and I do it. It's always two red maggots! I don't know why we bother with the other colours! Please don't break down my statue!
Anyway, two red maggots, cast out. Bite. A lovely skimmer.


Next cast, again two reds, I hadn't even put the rod down and it was away. A small perch. I had stumbled onto the winning formula that I had been using the last 30 years!!



I caught a few more perch and some very small roach and thoroughly enjoyed being on the bank. There were fish topping in the early morning mist. I heard a splash to my left and looked at the bush as a kingfisher came out the water holding its breakfast. I wish I had seen it dive in, but it was magical seeing it emerge out the water.

The sun came out and it was starting to get warm. The jumper came off and even the wellies did too!



I missed bites as I typed to Tom, he had caught a pb bream (5lb 2oz) in Hexham and I was so pleased for him. I missed fish later as I checked the cricket score on my phone, but you know what? It didn't matter. I was still having Fun.



I hooked a bigger fish at about 11am, I assume it had been waiting for the match start time, sadly it came off and I didn't see it. I will claim it was a good sized bream, but we will never know.





It was soon time to pack up and head home. My modest net would not win any awards, but I head home happy. (Am writing this sat in the car)
I am learning  every time I fish the river and hopefully soon, I will be able to give you some knowledge in my ramblings like the knowledge given to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment