Friday 18 June 2021

Relax with an ice cream

Date fished 18/6/2021

7am until 3pm

Today saw us leave the bank and waders and climb on board Big Elbow, we were off for a days boat fishing. We were gonna be using spinners and small jigs in the hope of a Perch or two. 


We met (as usual) at 7am and prepared the boat. I threw the rope to Ellis, nearly breaking his nose. " No limp wristed throwing here", I declared.

We cast off and headed upstream. Ellis drove the boat while I tackled up and then we swapped. It meant we were ready to go when we got go the mouth of the Leven. We would fish here for a bit and then work our way back. 

Today was a relaxing day, I did alot more sitting than actual fishing. After two days of serious fishing it was just a great day to be on the river. Being on a boat gives a different feel and the gentle rocking certainly is relaxing. Ellis was first off the mark with a blank saving Roach, I kept trying for Perch but soon we were both on the float road with maggots trying to catch "bits". 



Eventually I caught one too and I was off the blank. No monsters but with the finger tip approach we could make all fish look splendid. Ellis doing a much better job than me!



Some of the silver's went on as live baits but the predators were not playing ball. The river had an algal bloom all over the slower moving edges and the green pea soup sticky residue covered our line, floats and well, pretty much everything! 

We tried swims we had caught Perch and Pike in before but still no joy. We tied up alongside trees and bushes, most of them were in the boat more than alongside! 


Eventually we came to where Ellis lost a big Pike a while ago. He cast out his live bait and it swam perfectly straight along the edge of the lillies. Ellis remarked " It's like an ice cream van for Pike, it just needs a little tune" on hearing this, I cracked up. Another classic line for the blog. 
Sadly no Pike here so we moved on. We were in another tight swim by some trees when suddenly the Pike float bobbed and sailed away. Ellis wound down to the circle hook and felt the surge of Esox. As quick as it arrived, it was gone. The live bait now dead with tell tale pike teeth marks across it's flank. We tried here for an hour but to no avail. 
The wind was getting stronger and I had drunk two litres of water in as many minutes and weed over the side about a million times. It was time for an early bath as I believe "something's coming home" tonight! 

It was a relaxed end to three great days fishing. Shame we didn't land the Pike, but I think Ellis is glad I didn't poach it out of his swim like yesterday. 
The relaxing is over as I will be going fishing again soon, "Great" I hear you say! Great indeed, I am going again tomorrow!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment