Sunday 2 December 2018

Wet wet wet

Date fished 1/12/2018
8am till fully saturated!



After the last blank on the Tees, I was determined to catch something this time round. Unfortunately the weather "east of the river" was not playing ball and reviewing the river levels "yesterday" confirmed a flooded river lay ahead. We decided to give into "temptation" and headed to Cundall to fish the Oxbow. Hopefully the banks were "holding back the river" and the Oxbow would be fishable.

Pike was the target on one rod, absolutely anything that swims the target on the other! The oxbow is always able to throw up a "sweet little mystery".

Meeting after a " brand new sunrise", Ellis was there first! This was a shock.
The track down to the river was questionable, so we left my car at the top and jumped in Ellis's 4 wheel drive to get us down there. A quick drive and a slip and we were at the Oxbow. The sheep are only companions on this wet morning.




Sardines were elasticated up and cast near the trees on the far bank. I tried my second rod with cheese paste, pellet, corn and bread to no avail. "Wishing I was lucky" had no effect and the fish stayed away. Ellis trying maggot and worm in the feeder, whilst catapulting a few free offerings everywhere but near his hook!
"With a little help from my friends" I was soon casting worm in the quest for all things fishy.

Realising I had forgot to bring my brolly and my chair, I settled down on my unhooking mat in the rain to watch Ellis sit on his under his brolly! Greated with laughter as he had actually not brought his chair, instead bringing his bed!! Always lying down on the job that man!



After a warming drink, it was soon time to recharge the batteries. Both of us sitting in Ellis's car, heating on and heated seats warming us from underneath! A quick move of the car, and perfectly set behind our rods, this was fishing!

After trying all I could, it was time for a change. I decided to try wobbled deadbaits and rove around the Oxbow to seek out a pike. The other side looked different, sheltered and with trees, I was "high on the happy side", or so I thought!
A few likely looking holes produced not a sniff, I was pike less and the scales remained "weightless".

Soon it was last chance saloon. Stood chatting, we watched the floats. Then it happened. "Somewhere somehow" a fish came out the water on Ellis's float, just to have a look at it, before turning back down into the water. It was amazing and bizarre all in one go! I am still not sure what it was, but am gonna stick with "fish".

As we were now wetter than Marti Pellow, it was time to head home and "sweet surrender". After a little bit of rallying and some "broke away" traction which had Ellis going backwards, slipping towards the river, probably playing "lip service" to some choice words and turning the air "blue for you".

Another blank will "stay with me heartache" but even after nearly getting to the point that I "shed a tear" I was glad we went...... just!
Cos just looking through the playlist, any fish we caught would have had to weigh "10" lbs!


No comments:

Post a Comment