Sunday 30 June 2019

Hexham Tench

Date fished 30/6/19
7am until 11am

I decided to get up early (late) and try the local lake in Hexham for Tench. After seeing the beauty that Rupe caught last week, daddy thought he would try and catch one!

I had sweetcorn and a few worms. Feeding the corn with worm on the hook, I baited a few areas by the reeds. Soon I was catching Rudd every cast, mostly them taking the sinking worm long before it got to the bottom. I was almost fly fishing for them. Casting repeatedly in a likely area and catching a Rudd a chuck as the worm sank. I got into a good routine.

Realising I was not going to catch a Tench like this, I  put some weight close to the hook to fish on the bottom. The float bobbed a few times and slid away. This felt bigger. I had achieved my target, not as big as Rupes but it was my first Hexham Tench.




Plenty of Roach and Rudd followed, I soon had at least 30 fish in the net. Running out of worms, I was soon catching on sweetcorn.



Back home after a few hours, happy to have caught my intended species. It really was a learning day too. I can now sort Rudd and Roach apart like cats and dogs! Never knew why I couldn't tell them apart before!!
2 Roach

Roach above Rudd ( I think!)



No comments:

Post a Comment