Saturday 22 June 2019

Mini me PB

Date fished 22/6/2019
1pm till 5pm

A few hours with Rupe at the local pond in Hexham was needed. Martha was off for an audition, so we went to audition some fish. We have fished Wydon Water a few times, caught Roach and Rudd. There is some nice Tench in there too, but we have yet to catch them. Rupe has always wanted to catch one, so I keep trying for him.

His younger brother came for an hour and we were soon throwing in "magnets" and attracting plenty of ducks! Eventually Rupes float went down and he landed the first 4 inch silver. He wanted to use my keep net, so being a great dad, am now cursing at the drying of 10ft of net, I obliged. We now had a 4 inch fish swimming in a 10ft net!!!

Soon it was followed by more, and when we saw the Rudd topping and we cast to them, the net was getting "filled". All three of us had caught fish, it was going well. I was now able to tell Roach and Rudd apart too!! We had caught plenty of both.
Rupe asked if he could put some food in the keep net for the fish!! How, I remember asking my dad the same 30 years ago!

Soon, it was just Rupe and I. I had explained to him about just feeding an area and keep casting in it, instead of chasing fish.

He was now using his 4m whip. In the same place, feeding dead maggots and corn, with worm on the hook (Rupe says thanks, Ellis) and his float disappeared. Rupe struck like normal, his whip bent double and he held on to a monster! I helped him with the whip, playing the fish. Then I gave it back to him and gave advice. A few minutes of battle with the reeds so close, we got a reward. 3lb 12oz of Rupes first ever Tench!






What had started as a afternoon killing time, had turned into a memory for a lifetime. That's what makes it all worth while. He didn't fish for the last hour. He just watched his dad trying to join the Tench gang. Of course I didn't though, I am a considerate dad too!!



No comments:

Post a Comment