Saturday 4 December 2021

Jugglers

Date fished 4/12/2021

9am until 2pm

December had snuck up on us, and some wintry flurries had already fallen in Hexham. Ellis was back from work commitments and we both wanted to trot the Tees for Grayling.  Over the last few years, since Nov 2017, that's basically what December means to us!


The river had risen a lot during the week, but dropped fairly quick, and with no rain forecast before we fished, we were hoping for good conditions. Definitely not cold river conditions when I have a small hole in my waders!

I packed the 14ft (13ft 9 inches) float rod, centre pin and bait apron and was already to go. Ellis got maggots en route, (from a tackle shop not fresh from a road kill) and I met him in the usual car park. The Grayling fishing was great here, we were on an Association Water. We generally fished from mid river (wading) or bank if possible. Feeding maggots each trot through, we generally got the Grayling going and had caught scores of them before. I had some worms, that had been in my fridge since early October just incase we wanted a change of baits. 

We walked to a spot we usually finish in, no fish here. As the rain started we headed off to fish our favourite part of the beat, within a few casts we had both hooked and lost fish, this was better and certainly warmed us up.



Soon I connected and held on, a superb Grayling that was the biggest I have had from the Tees. It was not bigger than the pb I caught recently but was easily over a pound. 












A few juggles but we got a good picture too! Ellis was soon into a fish too, another larger Grayling. We commented how we had not caught a brace like this on the Tees before, it really was a great start. 




Definitely some more juggles! In our defence Grayling are the hardest fish to hold. They are so strong and wiggle about, especially when a good size! 

We certainly lost as many as we landed. A Grayling's mouth is small, bony and delicate all at once. Added to that is their spinning fight and raised sail fin in the current, they really do give a great fight. Ellis caught a Trout here too, but as we were chilled to the bone we went for a walk to warm up. 

We walked to an area we had caught before, there was no wind and the river was flat calm. I cast in and straight away the float buried, a good sized Grayling again fighting in the flow. Sadly the hook hold came away, and the fish swam back to it's mid river spot. A very brave dog walker in shorts appeared on the far bank!! He must be practicing for visiting the Arctic, as here, it was bloody freezing!! 

Ellis then joined me and caught a Grayling, I also landed a Trout but as the wind picked up, we headed off. 

We fished a few spots on our walk back, but in reality this was just fodder, we wanted to get back to our favourite swim.



Yes the sun came out, it warmed us for a few minutes but the overall feeling was cold. Well for me it was cold and wet! The hole in my waders had been breached, I was now basically wearing a wet suit! 

We arrived back in the swim and was straight into fish. We were feeding and trotting, the fish obliging. 





Again, I could not help but juggle with the hard fighting fish.

I ended with a couple and the Trout. Ellis with four and a Trout. The overall stamp of Grayling were the biggest we had caught from the Tees. Every fish around the three quarters to one pound mark. It was a great session. 

Eventually the cold (and wet) got too much so we decided to head home. I rung my sock out by the car, my right leg drenched. It seems it was not just juggling that us clowns managed, I had comedy trousers on too!! 






8 comments:

  1. Great session. People who’ve never tried to hold a grayling for a photo wouldn’t believe the struggle!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grayling juggling should be an olympic sport! Typically 1 in 5 shots are keepers, the rest is the captor caught pulling all manner of faces in frustration that it just won't stay still for a few seconds! Well done on the Ladies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks James. Always good to catch a lady on a bitterly cold day!

      Delete
  3. Well done on both the capture and photos of grayling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One is easier than the other, depending on the day!!

      Delete
  4. Don't suppose I will ever see a Norfolk grayling. There were some in several rivers ( I saw a large one in a mill pool owned by a posh restaurant once) and I was told by an angling national treasure that some "swam" to the upper Wensum from the Frome a while back.

    I have a 13 foot float rod that is 12 foot 9 inches..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guess I wont see them in the Tyne either, although some beasts further North apparently. I have never fished for them in Scotland. Is amazing in our small country, the difference in species, I just assumed everything would be everywhere.
      Hahaha, glad someone picked up on the rod length, was Ellis's rod, he gave to me. He broke it and made the "alteration"

      Delete