Sunday 25 September 2022

Autumnal

Date fished 25/9/2022

8am until 2.30pm

I had not fished the Swale since June 29th, and had actually only fished it five times this calendar year. Checking the levels and seeking some local input, I decided a return to the Swale was needed. 


I fished a feeder with crumb and pellets that I needed to use up, with meat or worm on the hook. 

The river was quite low but what surprised me was the clarity. I could count the stones on the bottom in fairly deep water. I assumed I was going to struggle. 

Struggle, I did. I fished lots of swims and covered some river. However, apart from seeing a large barbel (I think) swimming about it was a fishless trip. 

When I switched to worm, it was getting battered by small fish, that didnt tempt anything bigger to come and investigate. 

It started fairly mild, but the wind soon picked up and it was autumnal by mid morning. I was glad I had put my long sleeve thermal top on. The wind created a ripple on the surface and lots of leaves fell from the over hanging trees. It got me thinking of cheesepaste and fishing in winter. I always enjoy that, strangely. 

Please remind me of that when I blank in freezing conditions! 


4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Definitely not, even got the winter duvet out last night!

      Delete
  2. Either you gone soft or the weather is really a lot colder 30 miles north of me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Warmed up a bit then got cold again. First frost last week. Can only assume the 30 miles is enough!!

      Delete