Sunday 29 September 2024

If I only fished to catch fish. I'd of given up ages ago....

Date fished 29/09/2024
7am until 3pm

A new river today. Jason invited me to fish the Wear at Durham. He has had some success, so decided to share it. Well, try! 

Lots of rain across the whole country this week, flooding down south but the North was relatively unaffected. The river was up but certainly fishable. It did have quite a bit of colour, which Jason seems to think may of been "the issue". 

However, meeting Jason in the car park, he greeted me with the colloquial "now then?" 
We walked to the river. 
Float rod, ledger rod with swim feeders. Maggots, worms, pellets, meat and cheesepaste. We had it all! 


The chocolate river looked good enough to drink. I started with the float in a swim I thought looked good. Jason went to investigate swims he had fished before, although he wondered if the conditions were right for them.

After a few casts, I was in. A small trout, there would be lots of these! 
Next a lovely grayling, there would be two of these. The first (biggest) jumped back in before a picture was taken. 
A chublet, there was one of these. 
A minnow, again, just one of these. 






Because I wanted to see the areas to fish, we left this swim and went for a walk. We fished lots of perfectly looking swims, although these didn't produce fish. Back to the original swim and more of the same! 

We ended up trying several swims over a few miles up and downstream. Apart from me seeing a huge salmon, we didn't get amongst the fish. Its such a good experience to fish a new river and I thoroughly enjoyed my day. 





I usually fish the same places in the same way, but days like this make me really happy. I feel I am a proper angler now, trying and working out swims, rivers and techniques across my fishing. 

In truth, I love my fishing! 
The title says it all.





 

2 comments:

  1. New waters are always interesting. Often the prompt you to try new things on your usual waters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true, a good way to learn new skills.

      Delete