Saturday 14 September 2024

Lost float 😥

Date fished 14/9/2024

6.30am until 2pm

Driving to the river this morning, heavy rain greeted me in North Yorkshire. I had checked the forecast, 0% chance of rain. I had taken this at face value and brought no coat. It reminded me of a 'joke' a brother told to, and about his sister on Christmas day when I was in Australia. Its not funny or pc, so I won't relay. But it's strange what things go through your (my) head. 

I put my waders on as waterproof and set off towards the Swale. It was still early, a 4am alarm had its effect. I settled in a familiar swim, but I don't recall having much luck in it before. I know it can be good, but not often to me. 

First cast was with a boilie that was still on the rig from the Wye. It was not a proper 'first cast', I just did it to get settled and put some feed in. Rarely for the Swale, I had a feeder with groundbait on. Usually, the hookbait alone is enough for Mr chub to find. 

Now, my proper first cast, with meat on. It had been in the water five minutes, and the rod hooped over. A 3lb chub finding my bait quickly enough.


I continued to ledger for an hour, by then I wanted to be more active. I set the float rod up. Catapulting a few pouches of maggots had the desired effect as after a few casts my float disappeared. I wanted it to be a barbel or a chub. It was a grayling! 



An hour of float fishing was enough exercise for the arms but the legs needed some, so I headed off upstream. I found, in my opinion, the best looking peg on the stretch. It looks so fishy, but no one has told the fish!! Not a touch. They just don't live here. I know where they do or did, so I headed there. 

I wish I hadn't. I decided to change rigs and float fished small cubes of meat, as I was pretty sure some chub would be on the far bank. Disaster struck when I got snagged in a tree, not just hook caught, but more. Pulling for a break, it happened. I lost my favourite bolo float. It has been prominent for so many years. I think that's why, I am writing this in such a sad mood and my usual flair is missing. 

It was now about 11am, so time for lunch.  

I walked back downstream to check what changes had occurred. The fields now had no fences and some swims looked very different. I tried a few but with no luck. I stopped in a swim one up from where I started this morning.  

A very recognisable chub soon in the net. Just over 4lb. A large lump on its head. 




As usual, this got me thinking. I wonder who has caught this before, let me know! 

Ellis and I have chatted a while ago, I think I have mentioned this before. All the chub should be numbered, so we can tick off each one individually. Trying to catch them all, or actually knowing how many chub there are?! I realise I am trying to turn a wild river into a commercial. 

I will just give up there. Off for a beer. 

Oh, I walked firther downstream and  found some fish feeding on the surface too, but didn't manage to catch them either. 


5 comments:

  1. If you number them you have to catch them in order. The 0% chance of rain is just for the locals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice chub, I like fish with a bit of character! Shame about the float - never a canoer (canoeist?) about when you need one :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I contemplated wading over, but lost the spot. Glad I didn't, I'd probably be in the North Sea by now!! Thanks Brian, hope the barbel are being kind to you.

      Delete