Saturday 31 August 2024

Last day of summer!?

Date fished 31/08/2024

7.15am until 1.30pm

Autumn was fast approaching last week, but now summer has come back for the last few days. I was not sure where to fish, asking the daughter was no use as she replied "I dont care daddy". I took that to mean maybe try feeder fishing for bream on the Tees, so off I went. 



The car said it was six degrees, and it felt it. I stopped at the tackle shop and bought some back door bait! Awesome service as usual from Cleveland Angling centre!! 

A short walk to the river and it looked lovely, if not a little cool. I definitely regretted removing the legs from my trousers last night. It was not shorts weather!! 






A feeder with groundbait, smashed corn and pellets left over from my last trip was cast at 20 turns into the depths. I alternated with maggots, worm or corn on the hook. 

It was calm and cold first thing but soon the wind picked up. This changed it to windy and cold!! I moved my chair into the sun to try and get some warmth. Unfortunately the clouds stopped that. 

I missed the first few lightening fast bites, but by shortening the hooklink, I soon connected with something. It was a small skimmer, but made me happy. 



If I thought this one was small, the next made me laugh, not smile. Perfectly formed, miniature skimmer. 


By now the rowers had started and the river was not just alive with fish topping, it had a human presence too. I was the only angler on the bank, but a few went by on a boat. The dragon boat whizzed past with some encouragement from the cox. 

The fishing was slow but I kept changing things, mainly my position to stay warm. Maybe I should of trotted maggots somewhere? Then the rod nearly got pulled in, thinking it was something big was quickly quashed as a tiny perch came in. 


I watched something chasing fry in the shallows, so next reel in I jigged the worm behind the feeder. It is a new technique I call "drop feedering". I am awaiting the patent lawyer's call anytime now. Anyway, a perch grabbed the worm, so it must have some merit. 


The wind was now blowing straight at me and it was chilly. I decided to call it a day. 

19 degrees the car now said! 

Seems shorts was the right choice, but now I am looking forward to Autumn and winter, they separates the men from the boys! 

No comments:

Post a Comment