Sunday 9 August 2020

Fake Bait

Date fished 9/8/2020

6am until 8.45am 

Back up North, I had Saturday to chill after the long drive on Friday so by Sunday I was ready to go fishing again. The forecast said hot and with thunderstorms expected later in the week, I thought I best go while I had the chance. 

With no maggots, I decided to use fake plastic maggots with some leftover ground bait and breadcrumb as feed. Maybe I should have gone for a meat or pellet approach for Chub, but I just fancied a day catching on the float, and having not really caught much on plastic bait, I thought I would give it a go. I have a selection of fake baits as back up, but not using them regularly it would be nice to catch some fish on them.

Fake bait

I also took the lure rod and small rubber lures and some spinners as I knew they were some decent Perch about. 


A 4am alarm and I was up and ready to go. I was heading to the Tees on a club water. A stretch I have fished a few times and really enjoyed, to the tune of 10lb 11oz previously!! 
Starting in my usual Swim, I thought I would fish here a while and then move between there and further up where Ellis had fished before but I would use the lure rod. As I arrived on the bank, I felt unwell. Both kids had been ill last week and I feared a tummy bug. Not sure what to do, I thought I would tackle up the lure rod and at least have a try. I heard that being sick over the side of the boat at sea just acted like extra chum and attracted sharks, so I had that as back up to the plastic back up! 
Second cast and the first fish. 



It was the biggest of the seven perch I would go on to catch. I had caught five by 6.45am, I bet you were still sleeping?!?
After the fifth, I rigged up the float rod. My tummy was still sore but I thought I would feel better stood up and trotting ( not what it sounds!!)



A few runs (ffs) down the swim and no bites. I fed the groundbait mix on a line and kept trying. Fish were in the swim but not biting. I tried with the lure rod and caught two more perch. Always an obliging species I find.



As I increased the feed, fish started to top on the line I was feeding. It was working. I had a few biteless trots down, but my tummy felt worse. It was time to pack up. Over an hours drive lay ahead and I felt rotten.

Am home and in bed, actually feel much better and wasn't sick. I think if I had carried on, I would have caught on the plastic maggots. Not sure if it would have been         "plastic fantastic" as a title, but you will have to watch out for that.
So, do fish eat fake baits?
Of course they do, even not 100% well today and I caught seven on this......



 




2 comments:

  1. Hope you're better.
    Never had much luck with fake maggots on their own, but have used them in conjunction with real ones when minnows are being a nuisance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was small amounts of casters in the groundbait. Certainly enough to get them going. I will try again.
      Thanks, a day in bed has helped!

      Delete