Thursday 13 August 2020

Per-ch-fect Morning

Date fished 13/8/2020

5.30am until 11.15am 

It's turning into alternate days fishing and staying at home, which in this heat is alot more sustainable than the seven days straight I 'achieved' in June. It means I can chill the next day, sort home stuff and still enjoy the next fishing trip. The thunder and heavy rain still has not materialised in the North East, so I thought another river trip would be good. To keep with the alternating theme I opted for the Tees this time, (Tees, Swale, Tees this week so far) although during the planning I did consider the Wharfe! 

Again without maggots, I decided on lures and spinners for Perch and a pellet and feeder approach in the hope for Chub. I went to a couple of club stretches that I have fished alot over the years and have always enjoyed. I have caught Chub, Pike and Perch on lures and Chub on cheesepaste from these stretches in the past, needless to say I have also blanked on them too! Not being bogged down with kit, (I still must do another maggot, keep net, stay in one swim session soon) I was planning to rove about from swim to swim. 

After an early alarm I was up and parked at the first venue. A quick walk to the river and I wondered where to start? 


With my waders on, I thought I would try a spot below the weir that I have caught at before, and I am very pleased I did.

First cast and I was in. A cracking Chub taking my spinner.


Second cast, a small Perch.


Third cast a slightly bigger Chub, at over 2lb it was a great Chub. Unfortunately as I held it whilst kneeling in the water to get a groovy picture for you, it flipped out my hand and landed in the water. It swam off under some streamer weed. I must get myself a go pro I think. I will have to ask Santa! 

Every 'next' cast was met by a Perch. I must have caught ten when a slightly larger one turned up. It wasn't bigger than the fish I caught with Ellis on the boat recently so it went back unweighed. It was amazing how close to where I was standing I was hooking the Perch. One that I lost nearly went through my legs. 


On my next cast, I connected with something good. I could see the Perch flash in the water and I carefully slipped the net under a much bigger fish. This was going to be weighed. After a quick rest in the shallows, I weighed the fish and at 1lb 2oz it was a new Pb. A great fish on what was turning out to be a great morning, well shorter than that, it was still only 6.25am!! 





A few more smaller Perch were caught but I was annoyed at not getting a picture of the bigger Chub (silly, I know) so I carried on in the hope of another Chub. I caught no more Chub but had another good Perch. I didn't weigh it as it was smaller than my (brand new) pb, but it looked great. If I had kept a keep net of the fish it would have looked pretty impressive. Nevermind, it's all about the memories.



By 7am, I had upped sticks and moved to another swim. I might try this first swim on the way back, I thought, knowing full well I would be coming back! 

Finding a new swim was tough, the vegetation was in full summer mode, but walking carefully I could see the tell tale sign of paths from other anglers. I went down a few before settling on a swim. I tackled up the feeder rod. I had "dead maggots, breadcrumb and cheese paste surprise" for the feeder. 

It looked awful but smelt good, am sure the fish would agree. I was just about to thread a pellet on when I saw a big, juicy slug. I have used them before but never caught on them, the day had gone pretty well up to now, so I gave it a go.

 

A few knocks on my slug (non eupho) but nothing much here, so I moved on. As I battled through the undergrowth I wished I hadn't brought the 12ft feeder rod. It is not easy to manoeuvre through trees and branches with it. I came to a clearing and could only cast the lure rod. I soon caught a Perch and everything was right with the world again.


A large splash on the far bank suddenly gave me "far bank envy". You know? I stand here and cast there, but if I was stood there I would cast here?!? Anyway, I cast to the splash but nothing happened so I walked on. I tried a couple more swims and decided that was far enough. I would walk straight back to the first swim and have a few more casts before jumping in the car and trying another spot slightly down stream.

Yes, you have guessed it! I was still hoping for a Chub. None came,  I caught a couple more Perch, I must have caught 15 or so by now but decided to leave on a positive and with a spring in my step, I was back in the car and moving off.

It was drizzling now and quite windy. The forecast said dry so stupidly I did not pack the rain coat. I drove to the next section and walked down the hill to the river. Hearing a sneeze from where I wanted to fish, I assumed someone was in the swim so walked downstream. As I got closer to the river I heard the sneeze again, but not obscured by trees I could see it came from the other side of the river. A cow clearly had a cold! I walked back around the thistles and into the swim that was always vacant.  Leaving the lure rod to the side, I wanted to catch on the feeder. A few knocks on the pellet, but I was going to be pretty lucky to get a Chub or Bream here in such short time I thought. I took off the pellet and put a bunch, 10 at least, dead maggots on the hook, filled up the feeder and cast back in. A matter of moments and the rod bent round. Yes, another Perch!, being quicker than anything else onto the maggots. 


I continued with this method but as nothing else came and the rain got heavier, by 11.15 I was packed up and walking back to the car. 

A short, early and rewarding session. A new Pb Perch and some Chub caught on the lure rod. I just have to be extra good now until December 24th so next time I might be able to show you too. 





No comments:

Post a Comment