Monday 29 July 2024

Too hot, too sunny, Two barbel

Date fished 29/07/2024

8am until 8pm 

A day at Aramstone today. High twenties forecast with bright sunshine. We got our excuses in early. 

Not as early as breakfast though. A full cooked breakfast at 7am in the pub and we were ready to go around 7.30. A stop to buy lunch and we were at the fishery by 8am. The fishery is a quick Google if you want to know more, but most people know as this........

I have many more like this! 

We (carefully) drove the entire length of the beat. Only stopping when I saw three chub swimming past. By the time Ellis stopped the car, I had counted 14. By the time we got out the car, we spotted over 25 chub circling around an overhanging tree. They might be targeted later, we thought! 

Ellis was unpacking his gear. I was already cast in and ledgering a 15mm Robin red pellet. The rod hooped over and I played the fish towards me. Annoyingly it dislodged the barbless number 10. When Ellis was ready we waded across the fast water and targeted the fish from above. It was very fast and I didn't quite get the angle right, Ellis preserved and landed two of three hooked chub. All whilst I lost another on the ledger!! It was going to be one of those days for me when the excuses are needed. 



As the day got hotter and brighter, I wondered about those 25 chub. Could they be my blank saver? 


We liked the scenery 


We walked up to them and they were still just hanging out. A float fished piece of meat soon disappeared and I had my fish!! Deeply hooked, I tried to unhook it with my finger. The bugger bit me!! It's pharyngeal teeth crushing my pinkie and drawing blood. I guess that was fair!? 



Deciding to wade to another area, I had already removed my waders. Not to worry on a day like this. I waded in my socks and they were soon dry! 

Walking back to the car, it was now boiling. We decided to sit in the shade, away from the river and just chat. We went through all the baits I had brought and finally realised we should be making rigs. So we drank a beer and tied some hooks! 



At 4pm we carried on fishing. We were feeding the area quite heavily, which definitely got the fish responding. Plenty of crashing about on their behalf. Plenty of snagged gear for us! The area was so rocky. We both lost gear but were getting bites, so we persisted. 

Ellis was rewarded at 5pm as his rod hooped over and his first Wye barbel lay in the net. 

5lb 10oz


He lost another one, but at 7pm he was rewarded again. This time 7lb 6oz. A new pb. Well done mate!!! 




The pb was met with a refreshing reward. 




I jumped in Ellis's swim and even used his rod as I had been snagged and lost my gear. I gave it 45 mins but nothing. As I reeled in, I was snagged again. A broken hooklink my reward!! 


2 comments:

  1. Well done Ellis on the PB. What you faffing about at Adam 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was just there to make up the numbers!

      Delete