Saturday 16 May 2020

NE fish

Date fished 16/5/2020
6.30 am until 2pm

Just before Lockdown started I joined Ryton and District Angling, with no fishing to be had I thought it was going to turn into an expensive laminated picture of me!



But with Boris giving us the go ahead, I was going to fish one of the 2 lakes that Ryton allow fishing on. After the enforced break, it was nice to get back on the bank again. The lakes hold a mixture of species which you will learn as I fish them, but today I was after any fish, and with it being a local venue, NE fish!

The lakes will be great for short evening sessions after work, but today the alarm was set for 5am and I was at the water at 6am.


Arriving to an empty Tilcon  lake, I had a quick walk around it and saw a likely looking swim. By the time I got back to my car, the bailiff was there having a look too. We had a quick chat and he was a wealth of information, we said our goodbyes and I headed for my swim.




In truth, I want to target Bream. I know lots of Carp anglers don't like them as they have zero craic (fight) but I think their appearance out weighs that! They look awesome, and I am sure a big one looks amazing. Apparently they go to 14 lb in the lake, so that will be my target!! 😂

Today, I had a quiver tip rod which I was fishing with pellet on the hybrid feeder and my pole which I was going to use with sweetcorn fairly close in for silver bits. I thought a day on the silver's would avoid a blank and a bonus fish may come along, but today was more about getting out, stretching the legs and looking at the lake.

I cast out the feeder and got the pole set up. I was not expecting the wind to be so strong, and at times I was not really fishing but flying a solid sideways stiff kite!!

A little bit of feeding and soon I was getting bites. A few silver's crossing my palms was just what was needed.





The wind got stronger, so I switched to a loaded blob float, thinking this would be lower in the water and be easier to use. First put in, the float buried. A perch! On sweetcorn! I must have imagined it, so fished on. A few more silver's and then another perch, it was not a fluke!




I was soon in a good rhythm of feeding and shipping the pole out, but the bites seemed to dry up. I fed some more and just sat back to look at the scenery. I was a stone's throw from the Toon but it seemed peaceful sat in the wind!

Suddenly my quiver rod jumped forward and wobbled a bit. No 3 foot twitch here! I picked it up and felt the fish, it then popped up to the surface like all good bream should! It looked huge as I played it towards me to the net. In first time and surely a new pb?!?

They look so impressive, I laid the fish on the mat and looked it over. I really do like the bream, have I told you that?!?

At 3lb 10oz, not massive by any means but it is a new pb for me, so I am really happy.
A quick pic and the fish swam away to the depths.






I fished on with both methods, but it was getting too windy, so I packed the pole away and concentrated on the feeder.

Soon the police helicopter was circling overhead, hoping I had not breached any social distancing rules, I fished on.

I started tidying up the bits in my box, have only had 7 weeks at home and not managed to do it!!
The rod pinged again, and did a jiggle this time. I picked it up and played another bream to the net. Slightly smaller this time, so no weight but it got its picture taken.







I was over the moon with the result. 2 bream, 2 yellow veg munching perch and at least a dozen silver's.
I packed up and decided to call it a day.
The car park was now 7 cars full, it was nice to see more anglers fishing. I had a quick chat from 2 metres with a few and bid them tight lines.

All in all, it was a great day. I caught fish, saw a new venue and didn't even have to leave the safety of my NE postcode!

4 comments:

  1. First trip to a new venue and a new PB. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to see you back out there. Looked like a fantastic days fishing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Has been a bleak 2 months, was great to be back on the bank and catching!

      Delete