Sunday 24 March 2019

Blown away!

Date fished 24/3/2019
8am till 3pm

Today with the rivers being closed, I was heading to a lake. Ellis was busy with the boat. We will both be painting it soon ready for the new season, but I was not needed today so I went to find some carp. Now,when I say carp, I mean carp, but it has been along time since I last hit commercials, so what I actually may mean is F1's. I am honestly not sure, other than thinking their parents were rubbish at names!!



I decided to be new and improved! I was Fishing a new venue and I was improving the method.

I picked Eden Grange, about 40 miles from home. They have a catfish lake, which I would love to fish one day, but today was not the day. I was going to be using the Guru hybrid feeders I won in a competition. I was excited to try them out.



Arriving at the fishery after passing through a village called "Greenfields" ( ironic there Davey!?!) I went into the on site shop to buy some pellets. I bought small ones for the feeder and larger ones for hook baits. I had watched numerous Guru videos on line, so I knew what I was doing.




On reaching the lake, Runswster it's called, there were 2 other guys fishing. I chatted with them, they had fished before and caught plenty so I took their advice and fished opposite them.
Setting up was easy and I was soon ready to fish. The lake is not massive, and a small chuck had the feeder in a perfect position. The rod was on the rest, and the set up looked good.
Suddenly the rod twitched and wrapped round, I was in. A plucky little effort was my reward. A great start.



The lake soon filled up, there was 8 of us on it, all hoping for a great day. The fishery is described as peaceful and picturesque. It really is in a lovely setting and soon I was sat back waiting for the peace. There was no peace though. There was chat, and laughter and discussion. The match was setting up on the next lake and they were busy "matching". It was great to hear so much action, I was glad that so many anglers enjoyed the matches here, it's great for fishing!




Settling in and enjoying the surroundings, two things happened. I started catching more fish, and the wind increased!
I was sitting with the wind blowing into my face, I think this helped the first thing as no one else seemed to be catching. I was quickly on 5 fish and grinning from ear to ear. Unfortunately the wind did not stop, and it was bitter cold. I had not brought winter wear, and was soon frozen. A brisk walk to chat with a guy on my left and I was warming up. It turned out, he is also an Adam and he told me about a local club with a couple of stillwaters. I had looked at it before but never committed. I think I may join, so I have somewhere close by for the closed season or when the rivers are unfishable.



I had lost a few fish by now, and was still getting bites. A few other anglers were also catching. It was smiles all round.

The hybrid feeder method was great, I soon got into a good routine with loading, maybe a few bait boosting glugs or sprinkles, and casting just to the exact spot. Without the wind, this would have been a perfect place to continue to practice this method. I battled on. Keen to catch more, these fish had incredible strength, several of them had me fooled that they were much bigger such was their power.





As the wind continued, the lake emptied. People keen to go home and warm up. Soon I was the only one fishing. Seeing where some other anglers were feeding and needing a warm up walk, I moved swims. Finding a spot near the  car, where I could dash to if the rain started.



Again, the setting was magic and soon it was joined by my rod. A few quick casts got me in the right place. Suddenly the rod pulled round and the biggest carp of the day lay on my mat.



It was a great day, it's always nice to catch. Today was all about trying new things, I would say it worked. New venue and new method, tick!

No comments:

Post a Comment