Saturday 22 December 2018

tbc

Date fished 22/12/18 8am till 4pm

I usually think of the blog title as I fish, as a plan comes together about the session. But today is a little different, I will do it with you as we read this together.

Today I was heading to the Swale at Morton, and as Ellis was not feeling well, I was going on my own. It's been a while since I fished solo, so the blog was going to be called "only the lonely".



Setting off early to avoid any traffic, I was soon at the river. Thermal boots, three thermal layers, three pairs of socks, hat, gloves and a coat was all put on. Fishing this time of year is always cold, so the blog was going to be called "Midwinter madness". Then I realised it was really mild, the sun was out and the title was in fact an episode of A passion for Angling that I had plagiarized from Bob and Chris, sorry chaps!

Arriving at the gate, there was a sign saying a match was on! It was not in the book so I quickly text Kevin to confirm. He text me back to say no match, and enjoy! Giving me a tip on a peg.




I was aiming for chub and pike, so first up on my usual swim for pike while I set up the other rod. This rod was going to be a first again. I was using cheese paste, I tried it last winter without much luck. Today I was hair rigging it around a 10mm cork ball. This was set up while the sardine dead bait was ledgered under my usual float tactics. Again another new addition, drilled pike bullets instead of weights. I really was certainly looking the part at least!! The blog was going to be called "All the gear, no idea!"

Soon Fred came by. Instantly giving me tips and having a good natter. You will know, this is a part of the fishing club I enjoy. People willing to chat and share knowledge. It's invaluable to everyone and I enjoy meeting new faces, or at least seeing actual faces of people I "know" from Facebook. The blog was going to be called "The social Network" again realising this was stolen from the tv!! I carried on.

Fred gave me tips, he knew what Kevin had told me and he added meat to the bones. The peg, the spot, the method and even the time. Telling me that "if you fish there, you will get a wrap in 10 mins"




I stayed an hour in the first swim with no luck, so headed to the spot as described by Kevin and Fred.  I cast the cheese paste right on the spot, put the rod down on the rest and stood waiting. Now, I didn't have my clock to hand, but I think it was after 9mins and 59 seconds when the rod tip bounced,  then wrapped over! I grabbed the rod and struck, fish on! At this moment I laughed out loud, in shock, surprise and amazement of the accuracy of the information. Speaking to other anglers really is a great way not just to meet new people but to gain knowledge!

Unfortunately my laughter was short lived, as the hook pulled and the fish was gone. I cast quickly back on the spot, and waited. Soon I had waited well over 10 mins, I had blown it. The blog was going to be called " No second chance".


Moving on, I tried another swim. The flow here was much too strong, I could not fish it properly. The river had at least 3ft of extra water in, and was moving through! As I sat there eating my sandwiches, I thought of calling my blog "eggscelent"

I moved on. Finding a swim that looked both chubby and pikey, I settled down with both rods. Now, the best way to describe what happened is to show you the real time comments....


Finally, after 4 good bites in 21 mins, I had my prize. A great looking chub. The 4 missed bites had me thinking of "taking the Mickey" as a title, but that was quickly changed to "cheese first".




After a quick photo the chub was slipped back in the water. I was off back to the second peg. Trying again, nothing this time.

As I walked back, I saw Fred had caught 2 nice chub, and as he left I jumped in his swim till dark. I was not lucky here either, but as I drove  home and sit here writing, I am thinking of the great days fishing I had, learning all the time and trying new techniques, " teach an old dog, new tricks" popping into a title winning spot.

But as I come to the end of another post, as usual I am happy and smiling lots. As for the blog name, well it's obvious really. Don't know why I didn't come up with at the start.

Chumbley's Christmas Cheese paste Chub!!

Happy Christmas all.

2 comments:

  1. Top notch as usual mate. Sorry you had to fish solo. Better stop there before I get too cheesy 🧀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha!! Was nice to have bites, and fortunately was warm enough not to need to sit in the car! 🤣🤣

      Delete