Sunday 8 March 2020

A day for golf, or a nice drive

Date "fished" 08/03/2020
7.30am until 11.30am

The length of session is telling, and let me tell you. I didn't catch a monster and then pack up early!!

As the season is drawing to a close, I thought there was time for one last session.  Ellis thought different and opted for golf ( but I think the rain stopped that too).
I decided to head to the Swale and try for a chub. Getting in the car, it was a nice drive down the A1. I arrived fairly early and walked to a usual Swim.


The river was high but not bad looking. I started with cheese paste but it was not going well! The Borsin batch I made a while ago has not frozen and defrosted well. It's turned crumbly and does not stay on the cork ball. I think it's a fresh use only! I will go back to blue (cheese) for next winter!



After a while I opted to move to Ellis's flood banker swim. Here I got snagged twice, fortunately only lost the hook links and moved back to my first swim choice.

In what was about 20 minutes, the river had risen alot. Where I was sat was now a bit wet. I set up behind the water and carried on. The water continued to rise and I moved back 3 times.





By now, I was using luncheon meat on the hair and thinking a day in bed may have been better. It was time for an early sandwich. As I finished that, I noticed the river to my right was high up the bank and snaking round behind me. It was time to move from this swim, and my next chosen swim was to be the sofa!

Another drive, this time up the A1 followed.

It was a bit of a learning curve today. I was not expecting the rise to be so quick and severe. I was not able to adapt to the situation or know what would be best. It's something to read up on and learn from.

Peaked before midday and then started to drop. Should I have stayed? 



2 comments:

  1. That bit of rain on Saturday/Sunday night got into the rivers quick. With hindsight you should have stayed, but at the time with it creeping onto the bank like that I think I'd have left as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite a change from Fridays trip. I learnt something though, but yes I wish I stayed. The wind was blowing a gale too mind!!

      Delete