Monday 25 May 2020

Even "commercial" fish take a break!

Date fished 25/5/2020
7.30am until 4.00pm

Today was going to be a hectic day. Ellis and I, whilst adhering to social distancing, went to The Oaks at Sessay. With its 10 lakes stocked full of Carp et al and memories of last time where we couldn't lift the net, we were up for a bumper catch session.




With the tackle packed into the car, I was ready. I set off early and met Ellis about 7.30 am. We had decided to fish Oak lake, as last time there (poplars) were lots of 1-3lb carp and F1's and we thought we may target bigger fish in this lake, although not the specimen lake.

Walking around the lake, it was very busy. Big areas were taken and keeping to distancing rules we opted for a quiet corner. Ellis able to cast to a bush on the far bank and I was going to cast to the point of the island. We both started with Hybrid feeders with pellet banded on a hair rig.



I cast in and sat back waiting for the action to start.  A few knocks and that was my lot.




Ellis on the other hand, started where we left off last time and quickly had 3 fish in the net, (2 carp,1 skimmer).





I was sat in the dark in more ways than one, and no fish!


Eventually a twitch and I hit the bite. Not quite the fish I was after, but it was not a blank.



A move was in order, so I went the other side of Ellis so I could also cast to the magic Bush!
Soon we were both fishing against the Bush feature and getting line bites.

The owner, clad in mask and gloves, then came round for payment. The exact money was put in a kids fishing net that he held at arms length, and we took out our ticket. A quick squirt and rub (hand gel you pervs) after and we were all safe!

The fish were cruising around under the surface, occassionaly taking food off the top. We both switched to floating bread to tempt them from the top. The fish, as the title would suggest were indeed having a break. They were not necessarily feeding or spawning. They were chilling. Sometimes feeding sometimes not.
A few fish were being caught around the lake, but not nets full like before. Not even level 3lb tc rods on top of a rod pod with alarm and 100 kilo of bait was working.
I switched back to ledger and fished on. Ellis suddenly jumping up as his rod hopped over, "On pellet?" I asked.
"No, worm", his reply.

Quick as a flash, I changed to worm and cast to the Bush. My rod twitched and I struck. Finally, a carp was in the net.




As the afternoon drew on, we switched between ledgering and floating bread,  but not alot was working.

Ellis slipping lower in his chair until finally his eye lids got too heavy.  I looked up to see his rod hooping and the bait runner starting to turn, I called him awake and he picked up the rod to land another carp!! He was catching more than me in his sleep!!



More and more carp cruised around, soon my swim looked like a pond. 20 plus fish just mooching about. We were getting line bites and could even see the fish as they were brushing the line. We were not catching anything though.

With a long drive home and hot from the sun, we decided to finish early. If we were catching we may have stayed, but for some reason the fish were not interested.
Two trips from the same venue, could not have been more different.
I can't purely blame Covid, Cummings or Ellis. Afterall he was reasonable,  he didn't snore once!


2 comments:

  1. Those Yorkshire carp can tell you're aliens and didn't want molesting.
    Used fish there years ago when it was just a muddy farm pond with a few stunted perch in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is quite the size now, but didn't enjoy as much as sat on the banks of Swale or Tees

      Delete