Saturday 8 October 2022

Tug o' worm

Date fished 8/10/2022
9.30am until 2.30pm

Checking the river levels all week, it was clear that the much needed rain would hamper fishing at the weekend. With well over a metre at broken scar (our usual marker)  it was decided to abandon a river Tees trip. Tom headed up to a Trout lake in search of pike and I decided on a session at Tilcon for bream. 

I left it "late" this morning as it was bitter cold first thing and wanted to give it chance to warm up. The weather certainly did warm up and some suncream would not of been out of place today. The wind however kept that in check. 




I only took the feeder rod, with pellets for the feeder and worm on the hook. I was sure that would be enough. 
Setting up in the swim I fished last time, I was sure this deeper area would be where the bream were lurking. 



A carp swam past, under the rod tip. Not in the picture above, that was me just showing you the set up. I was no way quick enough to take a pic of the carp, I did toss it some pellets for breakfast though. 

The worm was constantly being tugged. We all know what causes that. For effect, I can show you, but let you know that this was actually the second fish that I caught. 

Typical tugger

The tugger is known to not be much longer than said worm, but to pull the rod with might. It is mostly welcome but on some levels gets in the way of other tuggers that would give more of a pull round. That was what occurred first.....





A much better perch, one that would probably eat the tugger!! 
The wind got stronger and battered the rod, but I still got plenty of bites. All were missed and tuggers assumed, although there were some free spool spinning moments too, but nothing landed to be confirmed. 

The lake is looking a bit more full and the lillies starting to die back. I don't fish Tilcon much in winter, opting for running water in  the colder months. 
As I unpack the kit and look at the calendar, there does not seem to be too many weekends left until the end of the year (alternate ones being those I can fish). It seems crazy but this year really is whizzing past. There must be a perch in 2023 that is tugging 2022 along at an alarming rate! 

I enjoy catching the perch and being out on sunny autumnal days like today is magic. I just wish they wouldn't tug my worm so much! 🤣

6 comments:

  1. Autumn is worm (thus perch) time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, cant wait to amongst them on the river.

      Delete
  2. Might be worth trying a prawn on the hook during the colder months there. Both large perch and carp do love a prawn. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will try that Keith, tried it once and had no luck, have seen some chub caught on prawn on the river.

      Delete
  3. May be better to use a bobbin rather than quiver tip, give the fish a bit of slack to play with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting, never really think about that. Think the fact they are wasps don't help!

      Delete