Saturday 13 January 2024

Fatties

Date Fished 13/01/2024

8am until 1pm

The rivers were not my friend over Christmas, and with still waters limited the rods remained in their sleeves. My first free weekend, so I needed to get back on the bank, or in the river. I decided to fish for grayling on the Tees in a familiar spot. 

Trotting gear, waders and frozen maggots were assembled and packed. I headed south.  Parking up and tackling in the semi darkness was perfect. I waded to the spot as the light took over.


I would not advise to wade alone, but I do know this stretch well and I didn't really venture far away from the bank. If you are going alone, always tell someone where you are going and what time you might be home. I told Ellis, which was a great idea as he is in Cyprus!! 

The river was surprisingly low, considering how high it has been these last few weeks. It was also "warm" and very clear. Ideal trotting conditions. Second trot down and the float disappeared. My first fish of 2024......


Out of season but hard to avoid. Took a pic as my first of the year, but the other three I caught, including a 2lb plus fish, all returned from the net, having never left the water. 

A few more trots and the first grayling, a good sized fish to start with. 


In truth, the stamp of fish today were really good. I caught seven grayling from two areas fished. All were 12oz to a pound. I weighed one (biggest, I think) and it was 1lb exactly. 




I chatted with a couple of other anglers, one lure fishing for perch and one ledgering for chub. Ellis and I have fished this stretch most winters and hardly seen a soul, so it was nice to know other anglers were here too. 




It was nice to be back on the bank and amongst some fish. A short session today as I am going to fish a new river tomorrow, so I am looking forward to that. No spoilers, but I don't need to leave the NE postcode.....


4 comments:

  1. Not a bad start to the year. A self inflating life jacket takes a lot of the worry out of wading alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would not wade mid river alone, or at anytime I thought debris was coming down. The life jacket option would just help me towards Tees mouth!!
      The fishing was great though, was amazed at the stamp of grayling today.

      Delete
  2. Great start to the year - look forward to what tomorrow (today as I type this) brings…

    ReplyDelete