7am until 2.30pm
The big perch I lost at Tilcon was still bugging me. I decided to try again, armed with prawns.
I gently lowered the ledgered prawn near a tree where I lost the big perch. I fed some maggots and pellets to attract little fish and sat back. I set up the float rod and float fished corn whilst the prawn did its job.
After 20 minutes the line started to slowly get taught and the baitrunner turned very slowly. I thought this was a definite perch bite. I picked up the rod and that's when I realised something. The rod bent double and a huge bow wave swept across the lake. It was a big carp and my hoolink snapped like cotton in a mere few seconds. It was bitter sweet....
I had fun on the float rod, catching plenty of roach.
Then the unthinkable happened. A perch on sweetcorn! (Again).
It seems the perch here are vegetarian, the big one I lost was on sweetcorn. The prawn was NOT doing the business.
Eventually a better fish on the float and my second crucian ever came to the net. Bigger than the first from a few weeks ago, so technically another pb, although didn't weigh it.
I fished on and caught only more roach on the float. There was interest over in prawnsville but not a real take. I kept with the loose feed over both methods and fish swirled constantly.
After some heavy rain, the sun came out and dried everything off. I decided that was a sign to head home.
Whilst prawn and corn sound the same, they are very different and not just in spelling! Maybe the perch don't know this. Next time, I will try using cawn or prorn!






Never really had much success with prawns for perch, or carp. Perhaps flavouring corn with prawn is the answer.
ReplyDelete