Sunday 3 December 2017

Walking further and getting closer to a Tees Pike

Date fished 03/12/2017

After last week's Grayling success, I decided to continue my quest for a Tees Pike. Having chatted with Dave and Ellis last week, they had given me some confidence to try further along the Stockton waters I fish. I set off with my trusty hike boots and walked the river.

I had one rod, dead baits, net, unhooking mat and a small bag. Was travelling light as usual, eager to try new areas.



I fished all morning, finding slacks. Nothing. The water was very coloured and cold from the snow melt earlier, in fact it was 7 degrees today so pleasant, but I still saw patches of ice on the grass that had not defrosted yet.

About 11.30, lunch eaten,  I was in a new area, it all looked great for pike. Bait was in, and I sat waiting.
My float, bobbed, rose up. A pike had lifted the bait. I immediately grabbed the rod, wound down and struck. I was in. Steady resistance, the fish swimmng upstream to a tree. I pulled down stream, the fish in the open and ping. The hooks came out!!

I had hooked a Tees Pike but sadly lost it. Now, I say, I had a Pike. How do I know?? My first ever Tees Pike trip ended with a big chub taking my Lamprey.
Well, I can't be 100% sure, but unless there is some sharks in the Tees, something with some pretty sharp teeth grabbed my Sardine.




I re-baited and fished on. Nothing. I continued further along the river, trying many other cracking swims. The Pike were not playing along.
I fished till the end of the day with no further bites, I set off for home with a big grin and, happy that I had finally had initial Tees pike contact.

Sadly I have had to say goodbye to an old friend, the Hike boots. Been with me since 2001, travelled the world, and the river banks of the North East. I assume my next trip will require my thermal wellies anyway, and hopefully a Pike or two!!



No comments:

Post a Comment