Thursday 1 November 2018

The 3 P's

Date fished 1/11/2018
8.10am till 4pm

After a plentiful breakfast,
day three of the epic fishing trip saw me and Ellis head to the canal at Pollington. Perch and Pike were the targets, but having not fished together since September, we were due a prattle too!

Deadbaits set up as the rain started, Ellis taking shelter from the precipitation by going under the bridge.
I cast the bait in and waited patiently. The second rod in my case was a spinner or small jig, Ellis had spinners, small jigs and of course his ever faithful drop shot rod!

First retrieve has nothing to report, the second however, pow! Fish on. My spinner, being preyed upon by our first P.
A Pike being my prize, for a well positioned spinner.
I don't think Ellis had got out from under the bridge yet!
A nice start to the day, let's hope it was the start of something more productive. Excuse my pinkies!




As we carried on fishing, Ellis went back under the bridge, but this time he was armed. A quick flick of the deadly drop shot and he was into our second P.
A perch being his reward. This fishing play was getting easy...

As we made our way up towards the lock, we carried on with the deadbaits and lures. Opting to fish up by the moving water by the lock. Ellis continued to catch perch on the drop shot, now expertly doing the drag shot technique!
Around a large boat, Ellis managed the pick of the day, this perch easily going over a pound.




We then went the other side of the lock, managing to avoid the poo as we fished along the path. Ellis having a follow from the deep, into the clear shallow water from a perch         " double the size of that big 'un".
This fish giving us some more motivation, proclaiming " I am not leaving till I catch a perch" quickly followed by Ellis " I'm not leaving till I catch a pike!"

We continued towards the bridge, chatting with other anglers that we met. We saw a few splashes, presumed pike. But none were in the mood to see us.
As we tried and tried, Ellis perfected his line clip use. Expertly casting to within an inch of the far bank over and over. Next, Ellis reviewed his dead bait collection, proclaiming it was all for the bin and a new lot purchased very soon.
Soon the last cast was upon us, Ellis continuing with his expert cast, however this time it was a foot into the field on the far back! A quick walk around to rescue his float soon followed, only made worse by my laughter of the expert cast!

I am sat in the pub writing this, hoping you are wondering what the third P is? Well, it's obvious.
It's not pals, perfect, painful or panic! It's plonkers!!

Let me tell you what happened, that I left out of my story.
My dead bait float was up near the lock, I was stood with the spinner, explaining to Ellis that spinning was not good at this height from the water. He listened and nodded as he drop shotted. Suddenly my float started to move towards us, a slow movement, but then going underwater and sailing away. I dropped my rod and actually ran to my rod. Ellis winding faster on the drop shot to get the net. Just as I picked up my rod, Ellis pronouncing "haha it's me!!!!" He had caught my line and was creating the bite!

I am proud to say, enjoying my fishing like a plonker, makes me happy, especially as gnome does not start with a P!!!




2 comments: