Saturday 1 June 2019

Less is more, Bream Pb!

Date fished 31/5/19
8am till 16.30

Today I got a new Pb and a target! "Weighable bream" was the target, and at 3lb 8oz I consider I did this. It was huge.




6am on a Friday, the alarm went off. I was not working today though. I was off fishing. I headed for Moulton Lane Pond, the forecast said warm, dry and cloudy. Arriving, there were 2 anglers fishing where I had seen I may fish, so I walked a bit further round. There was plenty of fish topping, features and promise in peg 18 so I set up there.




I decided on 2 rods. Float fishing with one and pellet hybrid feeder on the other. This was the first lesson of less is more! With being quite well stocked, the ledger is not a "sleeper" rod. Constant taps on the tip whilst dips on the float meant that in reality I concentrated on neither and I missed bites on both!

The baillif came to collect brass, he commented that this was the shallow part of the lake, but fish were still caught from here. Less is more on the water front, I thought!

Eventually I was watching the right rod at the right time and I hit the bite. A good sized skimmer on the ledger. On heavy ish tackle though, it didn't have much fight. Less is more on the finesse front in future!



Then it started to spit, drizzle and full on rain. This continued for about 3 hours. I fished through it, missing bites on both set ups, hooking and loosing fish. Not quite sure how less is more on the brolley front, but I have 2 fishing umbrellas at home and was soaked to the bone with none here!

Eventually the rain stopped and I moved swims. Just round the corner, peg 17 but it's less that 18 so there was more chance!
This time the float rod was getting the action, another skimmer, a Tench in quick succession. Then I hooked a fish that stripped line. Diving in the tree roots, I played it out. Several times I got it into open water, but sadly the hook came out and I was left with Less not more!



Noticing the 2 anglers had moved from the area I had wanted to fish, it was time for my next move.
Casting the ledger towards the aerator, I fed a spot in front for the float. I started getting bites, the float dipped, I struck. I was in. This was no skimmer, and a battle on light tackle started. Soon the carp was sat in the net, perfect!



After some pics, and as the carp swam away, my ledger rod tore off. I always thought when that happened on YouTube fishing videos, it was fake. I guess not!?
A strong spirited Barbel was my reward.



Recasting the ledger, I sat down and it was off again. A Tench now.
Chuckling to myself that I had 3 species in about 5 mins, I cast again. A few minutes was all it took, and the rod was off again.
4 species in 15 mins my thought as it was now a bream being landed, this must be a world record!?




The next few hours were busy. Alternating between bream and tench, I had to stop with the float rod when I had a double take, fortunately small skimmers. I ended with half a dozen each of skimmer and tench, 1 each of Carp and  Barbel.



It was in these busy crazy few hours that I had the chunk. 3lb 8oz does not sound alot, but bream are such a big bodied fish it did look huge. I was buzzing with the new pb and target reached.
Maybe it's just cos my Pb's are low at the moment they seem easy to beat. Maybe they will remain like this for a while. Either way, I am proud of my achievements as after all, they may be low weights but we all ready know that less is more, but never with pb pictures!!
















No comments:

Post a Comment