Thursday 9 July 2020

A blank?

Date fished 8/7/2020
3pm until 9pm



With my 7 day marathon a distant memory, it was time to go fishing again. Finishing work at 2.30 pm I jumped in the car and headed to Ryton. I was targeting the bream again on Tilcon. 2 rods, both ledgering, with pellet on one and worm on the other. I had made some new rigs with 8lb line and tougher hooks. I was determined not to get snapped off or have a hook straighten!



Straight away the worm was getting knocks. I suspected small perch were attacking the worms and because of the length of the hair (not mine, the hair rig!) they were never going to get hooked but would keep annoying me. 

There was always a chance it was bream though, so I kept worm on the hair but also put one on the hook. Sure enough a proper bite and a small perch was the culprit. After another one in quick succession, I took the worm from the hook and hair rigged pellet and worm cocktail. Why not!? I thought.



It started to drizzle as I watched 4 magpies and 2 rabbits playing about on the opposite bank, however my rods remained motionless. 
I kept a few pellets going in and watched for signs. There were fish surfacing around my baited areas, so I was sure a bite would come. Then I noticed a carp down to my left in about 6 inches of water. I watched it feeding and grubbing around in the silt. It swam away as carefully as it entered.







It was the right hand rod that went. The spool spinning as the fish quickly took line. It was just into the lillies, I held on and steered it out. Then the hook pulled. No line break, no hook straighten,  the barbless hook just lost its hold.
I stayed for another 45 mins but as the rain continued, it was time to head home. The lake suddenly looked alive, but I was getting a little bit cold and I was content with my nights work. 

So, to the Question. Did I blank? 
Technically not, but 2 micro perch when targeting big Bream. Who knows!? But I will take it. A fish is a fish after all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment