Saturday 25 July 2020

Living doll

Date fished 25/7/2020
5.45am until 12.45pm

The unhooking mat had barely dried from my last trip, but I was back on the Swale to try for Barbel. A 4am alarm got me started and with rain forecast I was eager to get fishing. It's amazing how doing something you really enjoy makes an early alarm and the prospect of soaking wet kit seem like paradise.



Arriving early doors, it was straight to the area I did well in on Wednesday. But today, I really wanted a Barbel to beat any Chub to the bait! If that's possible!?
A few casts with no interest so I moved to a different swim. A bit longer in here and still no interest. I switched between meat and large pellets. I did not have lots of meat so was hoping to switch between that and pellets throughout the session.



I was soon back in the first swim, casting to familiar spots. 4 quick bites resulted in 4 chub. The same chub that I caught on Wednesday!



I was feeling a bit of a cheat. I couldn't explain the feeling but I didn't feel good. Am not sure why as just because the fish are there does not mean you catch them. I have fished a swim where a friend has caught a huge fish and it has never graced my net. So, I am not really sure why I was feeling so bad as I caught the same fish.



I moved a little further down and put the rod on the rest. Again, the rod was away and this fish had a scar on its nose, again I recognised it from Wednesday.

I moved even further down in front of large bushes and when the rod tapped and a "new" fish lay in the net I was happy.



I was still just using meat. My alternate plan had not worked out well and soon I was down to only a few pieces.



A few bites here that I missed and no Barbel so I decided to move further away. A good walk downstream and I was at a swim where a couple were fishing on Wednesday. I cast to the far bush, missing it by milimetres. I put the rod on my bag and sat down in the Sun. There had only been a few spots of rain and I only put my coat on earlier to carry it easier. The heavy downpours had not appeared.
The rod suddenly hooped round and I was playing another fish. Hoping for the Barbel, alas it was another Chub. Seven Chub now, 5 repeats and 2 new fish. I had definitely hit my chub quota for the week!



With a single piece of meat left, I went to one last swim and thought how perfect an ending to the blog would be if I caught a Barbel.
I listened to the radio on my headphones and as Broad made light work of the West Indies, my Barbel count remained on a duck.



As I walked back to the car, I concluded it was a good day. Yes, I caught some of the same fish, but I am learning every time and hopefully I will catch that Barbel soon. In my 4 videos I have also proved to you that I am the one and only walking, talking, living doll.

You can have one still pic!! 

4 comments:

  1. If you keep catching the same fish you're going to have to give them names you know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. It beats blanking. They are like old friends.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Yop. Gonna sit and listen to the cricket all day today. A day to relax!

      Delete