Saturday 3 October 2020

Non hooked Pike capture!

Date fished 3/10/2020
7.30am until 3pm

Another day, another River. It was back to the Swale for today's trip. I had "persuaded" (don't  think he was as keen, knowing the conditions) and arranged to meet Ellis, obviously within current restrictions. No swims were within spitting distance, even during persistent rain!!
With a pretty miserable forcast and potential for the river to rise, a trip today was going to be spectacular in either a good or very bad way! Just you wait!

We met, eventually, both of us waiting in different car parks and made our way to the river. We had plenty of bait for today's trip with maggots, worms and meat.



The river looked a little up from the other day and still quite clear. I think we were going to be ok. We found some swims and started fishing. My swim smelt fishy, an otter having eaten Ronnie and pooped out Reggie!




Ellis was in first, catching a Trout to get off the mark. I soon followed, although I am calling my session a blank!


We walked a bit downstream and eventually came to an area with 2 swims a few metres apart. It was where I caught a Chub the other week. Ellis picked the upstream swim and I dropped in below him. First cast and Ellis was into another fish. A Grayling this time.


I noticed Ellis was tangled so here was my chance to catch a fish. I fished on and got bites but sadly didn't land any. We were both feeding and trotting through and there seemed to be a few fish about. Ellis caught a second Grayling. I turned to see him net it and a large splash erupted centimetres from the bank. That was no Grayling! A large Pike had grabbed the Grayling when it was going to the net. Ellis played the fish on 3lb line as it slowly swam about still holding the Grayling. I was soon ready to see if we could net it. Ellis played the Pike for a few minutes and sadly it let go. The Grayling was completely munched  so I told Ellis to tempt the Pike again. Ellis dropped the Grayling by the bush and the Pike simply took it in its mouth like a dog holding a bone. Ellis again skilfully lead the Pike around on his size 16 hook. I made way with the net, which was clearly too small and after a lunge in which the Pike was in the net and then out, I managed to net it. At 10lb 14oz it was a great non hooked Pike!! 




After a quick weigh it swam away, none the worse for wear, back to the bush. We were amazed at how laid back the fish was, Ellis just lead it into the net. Who needs trebles!?

We continued down stream and after no more fish decided to walk back to where we started. The rain had not been as bad as forcast but after some long dry patches it was now drizzly and was not stopping. 

We had both been float fishing maggots, but spurred on by his Pike, Ellis changed kit to try ledgering meat for the Chub. He dropped in a nice looking Chub swim whilst I moved on to trot maggots some more. I had just had a few casts when I heard the tell tale call of Ellis. Of course, he was in!! An unweighed but easily 4lb plus Chub his latest catch!! 


We fished on. Me still flogging the dead horse with the maggots on the float. I am going to keep trying as I really want another proper Chub on the float. I don't find it easy though. I don't know why you need to feed 3 pints of maggots to get them feeding while 1 large bit of meat does it easily!?!?



Eventually I gave in, and rigged up for meat. With just a hook and no hair, I would give it a go. We found some cover on our bank and I cast in expectantly. After a few minutes, my rod slowly bent round and I struck into thin air. Sums up my day! 

I tried one last throw of the dice, casting to a fallen tree where I have caught before, but no Chub today. The drizzle had been with us a few hours now and we were wet to the core. Both of us having pruned hands so it must have been bad! 
We had remarked only a few weeks ago how neither of us had recently, (Ellis had as a boy) had our catch grabbed by a Pike. And as is usually the way, it happens the very next trip. 

It's great to be making memories on the bank, and is always something great to blog about. Am not sure I approve of this not even hooking the fish!?! Ellis is so skilful he won't even use hooks next time! 

It was a good day to be on the bank, the drizzle not dampening our spirits, just our "everything else". 


8 comments:

  1. I think you need to get bread flake out under a float for the chub. As for Ellis' non-hooked pike, that's not really on. After all the angle means hook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be trying with bread flake then. Seen you into more Barbel, that's next on my list.

      Delete
    2. You may be better fishing afternoon/evening for barbel. It may be just me, but I rarely do well on rivers early morning.

      Delete
    3. Will take that advice! Thanks.

      Delete
  2. Nice write up. And lovely pike - I’d target those next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do normally when it gets colder. Is still "mild" up here!! 🤣😂

      Delete
    2. I’ve experienced your ‘mild’ you can keep your ‘colder’ :-)

      Delete
    3. 🤣😂🤣😂👍👍

      Delete