Wednesday 28 October 2020

Only Fools (and Horses) would fish today!

Date fished 28/10/2020

7am until 3pm 

Its back! 


Late October means the start of cheese paste. Looking back at my blog posts from this time last year it also meant a new Pb 
I caught a 5lb 8oz Chub on cheese paste on 29/10/2019, Lovely Jubbly!

I had a cushti mid week day off work this week, so decided on a fishing trip. As I mentioned in my last blog the days are shorter and after the clocks going back last weekend, a "full day" could incorporate dawn and dusk - 7.04 - 16.38. This was my plan.

I decided on a section above the bridge. Now I have walked and observed all of the stretch at Morton, sometimes I am confused at where to go. I need a spinning, wheel of fortune type approach to pick me a section! 



I arrived early and didn't need any help in picking some breakfast treats from Ronald. Eating in the car, I was soon fuelled and ready to hit the river. 

As I got to the River, I realised how much extra water was in. I had checked the levels yesterday and all seemed ok. This morning however there was a lot of extra water and it looked to be rising still. I had made an error. The bits I wanted to fish were underwater. Ledges of bank I had previously sat on, were a good few feet under. I fished some slacks and tried to formulate a plan. I checked the levels again.


I messaged a local angler and informed him I had been a real plonker! He replied, calling me something else, that I won't repeat here! 

I tried likely looking spots and walked some of the river just to see how full it was. I had walked downstream turned around and was now back to where I started. Another angler appeared from across the field.  We chatted, and I found out that he is the Secretary of another club that I am in, so we had a really good chat about all things fishing and the rivers. I said goodbye (Bonjour) and I left him to his Pike fishing and headed off up stream. 



I fished slacks behind and in front of bushes. I assumed the Chub would be tight in and feeding only if the water started to drop. I was fishing tight to snags and in some cases too tight! I went through quite a few hook links today! 

I covered over 20 pegs worth of distance, which is quite a lot on this stretch, during the war we walked all over the river to find the fish.  I got to the teens and saw no more likely bushes, so I turned around and headed back down stream. I stopped back in the swim that I had the PB in last year that I mentioned above. This had to be a good spot. This time last year I felt like a millionaire I thought to myself. 



You know it makes sense to stick to a swim you know, so I settled in and had a few cups of coffee and my lunch. It may seem like a long time had passed, but it was only just after 12.

The rod suddenly made a different movement, and slowly bent round. I struck and was into a fish. I played it quickly to the net. A quick few pics and the weight at 3lb 12oz and it was back into the cold water.




I fished on but unfortunately no more interest. The river had started to drop now like a chandelier falling from the ceiling.

I didn't manage to fish the whole day and as I walked back towards the car, I was glad I had persevered. After all, he who dares, wins!!




6 comments: