Saturday 22 May 2021

I'm back for some "Social Fishing"

Date fished 22/5/2021

8am until 4pm

What seems like a long time, really has been a long time! I am glad to say, I have now been fishing again. Since my last trip on Jan 2nd, I have been mostly working and walking ( no typos!!), more on that later, but for now I am back behind the rods.

So, what's new?? Honestly. Not alot. As I got my kit ready last night for today's trip, I actually nearly forgot what I needed. We were keeping it simple today though. Instead of going to my local lake, I felt I needed a drive. So I hopped in the car and headed the 90 miles down to The Oaks at Sessay. I was meeting Ellis for a day Carp fishing. What could be better?!? 


We fished Poplars lake. A lake we had fished on our first visit here and we caught a net full! 

I arrived and found us a couple of swims, the same ones we fished before! Soon Ellis arrived and had he not said "can you see me?" I really may not have, clad in full camo gear, he looked spot on! 

We tackled up, me using a new 7ft stalking rod, Ellis the Acolyte. We both had hybrid feeders with short hook links, pellets for bait. 



The fishing was slow, but we were able to chat. It wasn't long before Ellis was changing positions in his swim, not so he could fish more but so he could chat without his back to me! This is what's fishing is about. Social fishing!! 

Ellis caught the first fish, an F1 we think. It had eyes, fins and a tail. Was defo a fish. 



I then caught some fishes too. 



Ellis found (Thanks Jason) a new mode to take pics on the IPhone. It seems using portrait really brings the angler and fish into the front and the background, well 'back! It definitely works and takes some great pics. 

We chatted alot and the fishing was not really 'full on', but it was what was needed. Ellis soon had the fish taking bread off the top and we were soon trying that. 

The surface frustration soon followed. It's a great method, but so addictive. Plus, the fish always know which piece of bread to take or not take! 

Ellis had decided to squeeze the bread harder and have a sinking "floating bread". This worked and soon he was noisily, on the centre pin, playing another fish to the net. 



We changed between the two methods, and I had a few quick fish on the feeder which warmed me up. As I contemplated the drive back, Ellis had the fish feeding off the top again. I jumped alongside and poached a couple of fish from his swim, including the fish of the day. 



It was soon time to pack up. We had caught double figures of fish between us and had a good chat. This type of fishing is not what we are used to and it does feel a bit weird sometimes compared to the river.

Talking of our next trip, we have both booked off the glorious 16th from work so will be back on the rivers soon, I just have to do a little walk before that.....

I have decided, with Dwix, to walk Hadrians wall from Segadunum in Wallsend to Bowness on Solway in Cumbria.  83.5 miles in 5 days. If I survive that, I will see you on my next fishing adventure. You know What?, I may blog a little of my walk on here too....

2 comments:

  1. Welcome back. A nice way to get back into it. It's a bit different to when I first fished there. It were now but a silted up farm pond with a few stunted perch.
    Have fun with the walk it is a rather nice one if the weather is on your side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yeah is a gold mine now!! Nice for a change.

      Delete