Monday 31 May 2021

Tom's Blank Holiday Monday

Date fished 31/5/2021

5am until 12pm 

After the last session saw me bag some Carp, I decided to have my first trip this season for Bream at my club water in Ryton. I was fishing on Tilcon. 

Alarm set for 4am, it was an early start. I met Tom at the lake at 5am. We tackled up in our usual likely spots and started fishing. It was quite chilly and foggy, the mist rose from the lake as I cast in. 




Within 5 minutes a jerk on the rod caused my coffee to go all over my lap! No fish though. It was constant knocks and line bites, maybe fish were brushing the line as they fed in the feeder or smaller fish nibbling at the pellet. Anyway, no fish for a few hours and I was getting chilly. After taking my rod out the water, I went for a walk and chatted with Tom. It was good to natter for a bit, and with renewed vigour it was back to my swim. 



We were both using hybrid feeders with micro pellets, and pellets or corn as hook bait. 

It was Tom who hooked a fish first, although by reading the blog title (approved by him), you know the outcome. Actually Tom had about 8 takes and didn't land any. Some were small fish, he actually saw a small Roach hooked but not landed, but he definitely lost a good take. For some reason the fish were not hooked. To be honest, it is alot down to luck, and today I had some. 

We fished on for a bit and soon the sun was up and warming us up. With no luck in my swim, I picked up all my gear and moved to a swim next to Tom. We could now chat together, that's two trips in a row that have been "social fishing", a big improvement on "social distancing"!! 



Suddenly my rod hooped over, fish on. I picked up the rod to a twang. My hooklink snapping instantly. Luck was definitely wavering.

I fished on and again the rod indicated a bite. I lifted into it and quickly saw the fish. A good sized Bream already on the surface. Unbeknown to me, my photographer getting an action shot!! 



It looked a really good fish, just hadn't quite filled out. I was so surprised it only went 4lb 3oz so weighed it twice!! 


I cast back out and we chatted on. 10 minutes later my rod motioned again. A smaller Bream this time of a couple of pounds but I was happy.



We fished on until the sun was directly over head. It was now confirmed as scorchio, so was time to pack up and vow to come back later in the week for an evening session. Hopefully, Wednesday does not get changed to We-both-ne-catch-day!!! 

 


2 comments:

  1. Mission accomplished, target species acquired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect!! Was nice to be back on the lake.

      Delete