Sunday 25 December 2022

The good list

Date fished 25/12/2022

8am until 12pm

What seemed like 57 days of Carol concerts finally culminated in Christmas day. Dinner would comprise of a stuffed crust pepperoni pizza, garlic bread and peking style ribs. But there was a small matter of catching a fish on this holyiest of days! Oh I was gonna have some beer with dinner too! 


The river levels were high, but I decided to chance my luck on the Swale at Morton. I drove through the dark whilst listening to Noddy shouting to inform me it was the day I already knew it was!! 

I was armed with maggots, cheesepaste, Float rod and a ledger rod. Short of pike gear and sea fishing kit, I had every base covered. I could of gone to the Tees and tried for grayling again but I had done that on Wednesday. Fishing on Christmas day is a bit like Christmas Dinner. You don't have it everyday, so it's special when you do. That goes for pizza too! 

I arrived a little after 7.30 and walked to my chosen swim. I knew it would be best due to the water level and its one of my favourites. My chub pb came from this swim. I set up the ledger rod and cast out.


As I wished family and friends a merry Christmas,  the rod remained motionless. I cast a few more times and waited. After the cold snap, we were supposedly going through a warm spell. No one told the wind that though! Although the car said nine degrees, the wind was bitter cold. I did not have my thermals on under my trousers and soon started to get cold. I planned to go for a walk about and see what else looked fishy, afterall I had spent an hour here. Just as I looked at the rod though.....

It bent round and I was soon playing a fish. It was a good size and went straight into the faster water. Eventually it was close and I could see it was a chub. There was not alot on my wish list ( aka listy) this year but a Christmas fish was on it! 

I played the fish into the net, it was a bruiser! It looked like it could break my pb. It had been a while since I weighed a chub, so I was eager to put a number on it. At 5lb 5oz it was an awesome Christmas present and just three ounces off my pb. 







I treated you to all five pics as its Christmas! 

I fished on during several rain showers but at 10am, I was super chilly and decided to go for a walk to warm up. I headed upstream and fished a few swims I have fished before. The river was high and fast here, a ledge I usually sit on was completely underwater. In the next swim a tree that had been tucked in close to the left bank was now in the middle of the river! The swims are constantly changing due to nature and I think that's what makes us keep coming back! 

Finally I found a slack by a bush, this was sure to hold fish. I cast in and stood by watching. A Kingfisher flew to land on my rod, but detoured just at the last minute. A curlew flew low overhead screeching a festive greeting at me. Then the rod hooped over. My hands were warming in my pockets as I was busy bird watching and by the time ( I was like a coiled spring) I grabbed the rod, the fish had gone.


I fished on and alternated between this swim and the swim I had caught in earlier. Three rotations  between swims and I was cold but happy! The float rod never made it out the bag. 

I decided to call it a day, a christmas catching day. I chatted with a family walking their dogs as I walked back to the car. 

They were local and offered me great praise for making the effort from Hexham today. A much shorter route than the big man performed last night, am still surprised I made it onto his good list though!  

4 comments:

  1. Bit of a trek but worth it. Nice fish well done. Merry Xmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No pain, no gain. Or something like that! Merry Christmas to you too Steve.

      Delete
  2. Lovely Christmas chub - nice one for getting out and catching. Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brian. Been a testing couple of weeks, was nice to catch a good fish. Merry Christmas to you too, might be down your way soon!

      Delete