Saturday 1 April 2023

Fool

Date fished 1/4/2023
8.15 until 14.45


A day after my birthday and I decided to brave the rain. Fuelled by child made Choc mint cream cake for breakfast, I was up early and ready to hit the bank. I wanted to float fish, there will be plenty of ledgering time on this lake soon, so I thought I would start with float watching. 


Arriving at the lake, I went and chatted with the angler already fishing. He was actually just leaving, having just popped down for a short session before work. That's the way, I thought! 
We had a good chat. Introductions were short as Phillip said " I know who you are!" 
Fortunately this was followed by "I read all your blogs!" 
Phew! I thought, my reputation preceeds me, but only with McDonald's eating apparently! 

I jumped in the vacant swim, already pre baited and set up. 



The drizzle was annoying. That fine stuff, that looks OK but gets you absolutely drenched. Anyway, under the brolly I was mostly dry, so I fished on. It wasn't long before bites came. A few small perch and some very welcome gudgeon. 


The wind was calm and the lake was like glass. 


There is something about watching the float, and soon I was happy. Thoughts were gone and I was hypnotised by the orange blob. 

A change from dead maggot to sweetcorn brought an immediate bite. This was a different culprit. Am gonna say Ide. But if I am wrong, that's OK. 


The carp were crashing around in the reeds  opposite, they will soon be thinking about spawning. The bites kept coming and sweetcorn brought a better stamp of fish. 





Four good fish soon followed and I was probably on double figures. It didn't matter, no one was counting. 

Not sure if I have fished on April fools day before. I don't claim to be a fool or a prankster. But my experience of April fools day is as follows: 
For years my sister got me with the same prank. She would tell me there was a parcel for me. Having had a birthday the day before, this was quite likely. So, off I would go to see my parcel, only to be greeted with sweet fanny Adams! 

It's because of this, I didn't try to claim I caught this mud pig....



4 comments:

  1. Look like Ide to me. That drizzle was bloody annoying wasn't it. The way things are getting polluted I'd believe the mud pig.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully a dry spell coming up, been years since I sat under a brolly all session

      Delete
  2. Good to meet you and glad it went well. Corn for me tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too. Corn definitely sorted out the bigger fish. Am thinking Friday I will be back.

      Delete