Friday 7 April 2023

Spot the difference

Date fished 7/4/2023
7.30 am until 2pm

More of the same at Tilcon today. Looking at the match results from Sunday, 19lb won it. Been a while since I caught more than 19lb in a session. 
I have been thinking of bringing the kitchen scales so I can weigh some of the smaller fish for some time, but always forgotten. I don't know how much they weigh, the fish not the scales!! Today was the day I found out....




I had dead maggots, worms and sweetcorn along with the float rod. I caught on all three, but the better stamp (accurate, because I know) came to sweetcorn. 

Not wanting my blogs to be the same, I wont give a blow by blow account of todays trip, I will just highlight the differences, and provide you with some (small) weights!

3.7 oz


4.3 oz



5.0 oz




7.5 oz





4.6 oz





3.6 oz


So, what did I learn? 
Pretty much that my general estimates are "accurate", but as with bigger fish its quite hard to be spot on. 
I would like to do this again and catch some of the micro perch, as I am sure they weigh next to nothing! 
Secondly, I learnt that I won't be entering any matches soon! I watched a host of much better than I (match) anglers today fishing the pole. They smashed it, really good fishing. But I enjoyed myself, and incidentally there were no differences worth highlighting! 


4 comments:

  1. Interesting knowing the weights of fish to see how good our guesstimates are. Years ago when I used to match fish we occasional had a bonus prize for guess the weight of your catch. It was surprising how far out many of use were.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, agreed. Have heard "8oz roach all day long". Surprising how big that is compared to what is caught. Glad I did it today, been meaning to for ages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Works the other way as well. I rescued a pike today that some boaters thought was 20lb. A passing pike angler thought was 4-5lb. I weighed it at just under seven.

      Delete
    2. True. Plus different with certain species. Pike I can do chub too, but others I have to weigh as I have no idea!

      Delete