Friday 18 August 2023

Move closer

Date fished 18/8/2023
8.30 until 14.00

A few days of annual leave left and I was back in the North. I had yet to visit the Tees this river season, so thought it was rude not too.

I needed bait so it was an early trip to Rambo's. I was waiting outside long before the shutters went up. Some maggots, worms and groundbait and I was off to Bowesfield to sit behind the feeder rod. 

Similar tactics, rigs and swims as previous trips here. I do like ledgering rivers for the bream, there is always the chance a big perch comes along too.  Not today though, only two fish caught. Neither big, but I didn't mind. 




Today's main error was dressing like its August. The wind was cold and when the drizzle started, my rain coat was not enough to keep me warm. I actually sat and shivered!! In August!! I blame Betty! 
I also started out clipped up and fishing quite a way across. A biteless two hours before I started casting nearer to my bank. This brought immediate action. Plenty of bites and the two caught fish came from this move closer.

Spending more time on the river, I am witnessing things other anglers talk about. I have had pike attack my keepnet, take fish I am reeling in, watched otters, mink and other critters at close quarters. Today there was a new first. As I reeled in my feeder, a pike went for it. Swirling on the surface, it got hooked. I fought it for a while but the 2.5lb hooklink no match for it's sharp teeth and soon it was gone. 


Anyway, it was nice to not blank and be back on the Northern rivers. Am thinking of doing it all again tomorrow but with the float rod this time! 

Oh, and of course it was fine once I moved closer, made me think of the first album I ever owned. On cassette no less!! Ask your parents if you dont know what that is!!




4 comments:

  1. It always amuses me when anglers feeder fishing cast two thirds to three quarters of the way across the river no matter which bank they're on. casting over the top of the fish. The pike near me are very fond of attacking swim feeders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fish tasted great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wrong blog, but I think you mean the sea fishing.

      Delete