Saturday 19 August 2023

No T

Da€e fished 19/8/2023
07.30 un€il 12.00

I was going €o wri€e the whole blog wi€hou€ the le€€er T, bu€ €hough€ €hat would be €oo annoying! Jus€ like when I woke up........



Without my morning cup of tea, you are lucky I was able to even function!! A quick stop at Tesco to get some bottled water and I was off to the river. 
Back on the Tees, on a club stretch, and honestly my favourite section. No idea why, I just really love it, and have had some great trips here. 

I walked down the hill to the river. I left the chair in the car as the banks are not level and its not worth carrying. The keep net too as I was just hoping to have a few hours and use up the maggots. 

I got to my favourite swim and it was different. The vegetation was washed away and the bank nearly flat. A chair would have been ideal! Not to worry, I tackled up the float rod and started fishing.  By the second trot down, I had fallen in love with float fishing. I miss it.



The wind was strong but warm. Upstream at times making trotting both easier and then difficult. I was sheltered mostly, but alot of branches on the far bank were blown off and crashed into the water. 
I caught steadily today, finishing on at least 100 fish. Mostly small chublets but also plenty of roach. The first fish was a roach and a great blank saver.


Followed by chublets


The predators were in the margins. I could see and hear them attacking smaller fish. I kept feeding and fished on. A bite a chuck is cliché but it really was. The net would of been small but it would of looked great too! Not to worry, maybe I will bring the keep net next time. 

I lost a better sized fish, the hook just coming out. I wondered if the perch were now on to the maggots. The next few silvers were interspersed with some decent perch. The best weighed 1lb 4oz, a real beauty. 










I was feeding fairly heavily and the roach seemed to respond. They were getting bigger too.



Soon the inevitable happened. A pike grabbed the roach I was bringing in. The hooklink snapping immediately. I watched it swim off to the depths. I fished on a little longer but the bait was going down fast. I used up all I had and decided to call it a day. A good few hours on the bank, back home to a cuppa! 



8 comments:

  1. Lovely looking perch - and it’ll soon be time to target those pike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed Brian. Although they were very active today!

      Delete
  2. Splendid session. There really is something nice about float fishing no matter what size the fish are. I bet taking the keepnet would have put the kibosh though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the pike would have been attacking it most of the time!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a great session. Nice to see plenty of roach and chublets, promising for the future

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, plenty of good sized roach today. Is good for the future.

      Delete
  4. Started my nursing career in long stay hospitals. We had gallon kettles with tea bags to match.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you just bragging!! Would love that much tea.

      Delete