Tuesday 23 June 2020

Day 2/7 - Fun size

Date fished 23/6/2020
6am until 12pm

Today's change of scenery was a little bit further down the A1(M). Still a 4am alarm was needed and by 6am I was on the banks of the  river Swale at Morton.


I had maggots and trotting gear, but I also brought an open faced reel and 2 crusts of bread, just in case! I had been thinking of yesterday's lost fish. On an open faced reel, I think I would have landed them. Which makes me think I need to practice more with a closed face.

Looking at a swim I was given advice to fish, it was a bit windy and I didn't think I could get it right. I decided to tackle up the rod here with a closed faced reel and go for a wander. I put on the trusted bolo float, size 18 hook and was all ready. I just needed to pack the bag and have a walk. I cast the naked hook into the water just to keep it out the way, and packed my things up. Reeling in, I felt the tell tale 'pull' of a minnow. A little bit of weight, but just not enough. Avoided the blank without even any bait on the hook!!



It was useful to have a walk. It was a chance to see the river after the winter floods, and see any new areas.

As I had a good look, I realised where I could get out of the wind. In the spot where I caught the small Barbel on the float last year. I headed there. The swim looked good and I started feeding and trotting through.




It was a fish a chuck and soon 'fun size' chublets were coming a plenty. I call them this because of fun size confectionery. You know? Smaller than  normal, not sure why that's Fun!?! Fun to me would be a 6ft long snickers! ..... just saying!!






An over zealous cast and the float was in the tree.  A birds nest followed, but I was still having Fun!




Trotting along, I struck and this time there was resistance. A spirited fight on the closed face reel with a beautifully marked trout followed. After a quick picture it was back to live another day.




All was going ok on the closed face reel, I must have had about 20 fish by now, but I wanted more fun.

I decided to have another walk. I walked around the loop, seeing all the swims, I don't usually fish. Am sure they hold fish, I just haven't got round to visiting them yet. I stopped in a swim I have caught chub in before. My first 5lb Chub and caught on floating bread when I was in my work clothes in 2018!
It was time for lunch, it was 9.19am after all!



As I ate my sandwiches, I threw some pieces of the floating crusts I had brought with me into the river. I watched them intently. There is a large eddy here and they didn't float off down stream, but came round and round via the 30 metre plus sized eddy pool. I watched a piece come round at least a couple of times, very slowly and very natural. There were small minnows and chublets attacking the bread, but this was not what I was looking for.

Suddenly, a good foot down, I saw the bronze colour of a large chub. It circled under the bread for at least 10 mins. I waited patiently and had more lunch. I saw the fish several more times, never coming any shallower. Then a piece of bread was swallowed whole under a large splash. It was time.
I took off the closed face reel, put on my spare reel and a size 10 hook. I hooked a piece of bread and dropped it a metre from the bank. Slowly the current took it, but the wind was blowing it back. There was only 2 pieces of bread on the water now. Then I saw the chub, slowly coming towards my bread. With a splash, it nailed it and I was in!
With 5lb line straight through, I played it carefully in the pool and soon slipped the net under the fish.




I tried a few more spots with the float as I walked back towards the car. I met another angler that was in the queue at Darlington Angling Centre in front of me yesterday! We had a good chat and soon said our goodbyes as he went off in search of fish.

Finally, I ended back in the first swim. I had a few trots down and caught more chublets and minnows, at least there was bait on this time.



By 12pm, I was boiled, and happy to call it a day. As you have seen at the beginning, at 4lb 12oz  my chub was no monster but definitely 'fun sized' to me!

2 comments:

  1. Nice chub and plenty more hoping to get to that size.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plenty in that stretch. There's always next time!!

      Delete