Friday 26 June 2020

Day 5/7 - Wally with the brolly

Date fished 26/6/2020
5.40am until 12.40pm

Another day, another venue and tactic. Today I was back on the Tees but opting to fish a large, deep slow section hoping for a river bream. I last fished this venue on new years day and had a small skimmer.
The alarm went off at 4am, armed with maggots, worms and groundbait I headed to the river.
On arrival I picked a swim, number 133, on New year's day I fished '36' , on reflection I think my 1 was missing and it should have been 136.

I mixed the ground bait and tackled up. I was going to be clipped up on the reel to ensure I was casting to the same place. I had never done the before, so was excited.


The mist rose off the river and as fish topped everywhere, I cast in. Hitting the clip perfectly, I was soon fishing!


Little fish playing about in front of me knocked my line a few times, other than that it was all peaceful. I had my keep net with me and was hoping to show you a net of fish.



An hour in and a change to worm brought the first fish. A perch making the rod twitch before I slipped him in the keep net.


Another bait change, to caster this time and another fish. The intended target, a lovely Tees skimmer. It gave a positive bite and I struck it. Am over the moon!


I hoped to fish early and leave before any storms, bringing the umbrella with me just in case. It wasn't long before my brolly became my parasol!




With fish topping and splashing about all around me and on my spot it was only a matter of time before my worm, maggot or caster was taken. This was not the case, my next bite was at 9.30am when I was eating my lunch. How do the fish always know you are distracted?? I missed the fish.

The casting was spot on today, I hit the clip on all but one cast. Meaning I was always on the same spot. I still don't know how the water depth affects it, but I will continue to clip up in future when feeder fishing.

Fortunately the Sun was getting obstructed by the ever growing cloud, and I was able to dispense with the brolly.
Dog walkers, Kayakers and paddle boarders came and went and still I waited for a bite, casting every 10 to 15 mins to keep bait going in.


It wasn't long before I needed a wee. Going into the bushes next to me, I started to widdle. Suddenly I heard voices, two adolescent girls walking along the path. I gave my apologies, and kept front and centre. They scurried past and in true British fashion also gave apologies!!

With just the two fish in the net I wasn't going to trouble any match anglers anytime soon. I do learn a thing or two from them though, and took out my net well before leaving so it could dry. I used to do it as I left, and have carried a bag full of water back to the car on a few occasions!!



Nothing happened for the next few hours, then I decided to take 10 reel turns off the length of my cast and clip up there. First cast and the rod tapped, a little perch liked my change of plan!


With a long day maybe tomorrow on the Swale, I decided to pack up. It had been a succesful morning and a nice skimmer caught. Of course its great to catch,  but it's much better to see them go back safely too.


No comments:

Post a Comment