Thursday 31 December 2020

2020 review

Wow! Where do I start about 2020? Presumably with the C word?!?!? Surely not!! 

"Catching" - obviously!! 

I now blog every trip, at times in the past I only blogged catches. Fishing is more than catching and I learn just as much when I don't catch. Plus, I have enjoyed blogging about all my trips, all 64 of them in 2020! 

Was it a successful year? 

Depends how success is measured, I guess. I have fished alone and with friends or family. I have introduced an old school friend to fishing and helped a new friend get back into it. I have fished new waters both locally and afar whilst also fishing new areas of club waters I have been in for seven years now. There was no annual Chumbley trip but our holiday in August saw six of us get together on the bank. 

My 2020 targets were as below.

So, how did I do? 

1lb 8oz Perch - technically I did not achieve this but I have increased my pb to 1lb 2oz and then 1lb 6oz. I have also caught a Perch on a live bait, which incidentally was my first fish on my baitcaster reel. I followed that up with a Pike so that is definitely ticked off. 

1lb 6oz pb 

Perch caught on a live bait 

Pike caught on bait caster reel


I have caught a couple of skimmer Bream on the feeder from the Tees. One on New year's day and one later when fishing for seven days in a row during annual leave in June. I would like to catch a larger one, hopefully I will in future. I only had the 2 sessions for them this year, so am pleased I at least caught two, albeit small with some nice Roach too. 

Tees Skimmer Bream

Tees Roach

My final targets were a 6lb Bream and some local fish. I did not join a local river club, but did join Ryton and District Angling Club which has 2 local stillwaters. I nearly managed the Bream, catching a few over 4lb to 4lb 2oz all whilst staying in the NE postcode! 

Ryton stillwater Bream

I have had some great sessions this year including 

Witnessing Ellis's Swale Barbel

Ellis's Swale Barbel 


Seven Chub for 28lb in one session.

Seven Chub

Some great Tees Pike



And finally the joy of sharing fishing with my kids whilst on holiday in August and them both catching big carp. 


Martha's  4lb 8oz Carp

Rupe's 8lb 8oz Carp


Looking ahead, I will be fishing and blogging. I have rejoined Ryton plus clubs on the Swale and Tees. Three clubs is enough as I will be travelling about to give them all a good try. That leads me to 2021 targets.

A Swale Barbel- this remains top of the list

A 6lb Bream - I feel this needs to remain

A Barbel from a different river, probably south

A match style session to beat 10lb 11oz, my biggest mixed net of fish

That will do for now, as I am sure other thoughts will come to me along the way.

Thank you all for reading my blogs over 2020. For the new year, stay safe and I look forward to telling you all about my 2021 tails. (I know!!)




6 comments:

  1. Happy New Year and may all your targets be beaten next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same to you. It's got to be better than this year!!

      Delete
  2. Been a cracking read all year. And we’ll get a big southern barbel this year. Happy new year - look forward to read about those new targets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brian. Happy New Year to you too. Your blog has inspired me. I didn't tag them until I saw in yours. Thanks for That, is so much easier searching by tag now.
      Will defo see you in 2021!!

      Delete