Saturday 26 December 2020

Merry Fishmas!

Date fished Christmas day

7.30am until 2.30pm

It has taken a few years but today I finally managed to fish on Christmas day! They say you should do what you want on the day, and I would like to fish. 

I had celebrated Christmas with the kids a few days ago, and I will be going to have some food and drink with them tonight after this session, but for the next few hours it's fishing time. I decided to head to the now dropping Swale in search for Chub. 

Arriving long before dawn I walked in the dark to the swim I wanted to fish. Setting up by torch light was easy, a simple ledger rig. I cast in and sat back to watch the sunrise.






It was a nice time to be taking pics as the rod remained motionless. A dog walker soon appeared and we wished each other a merry Christmas. After a while I decided to walk downstream and try some more swims. After the flood, I was hoping a big lump of cheese paste fished tight to or under a bush would tempt a Chub. I fished likely looking spots. I tried all the places I know, but sadly no takers.




The sun being so low in the sky was very warming. Soon, I had taken some cold weather gear off and was sat in the warm sun. It was a lovely day to be out. I walked a little further downstream, through the cattle drinking area and I nearly lost my wellies as the ice broke to make me sink deep into the mud! 


I was going to fish until early afternoon, so at lunchtime I walked back to the first swim. I felt confident of catching in there, plus it was a nice swim to sit and eat my christmas lunch, complete with sprouts of sorts! 




I fished on but no Chub. They must have been having a later festive feast, or decided cheese does not go with Turkey.

I packed up and walked back to the car. Another blank, but I have never blanked on Christmas day before, so that's a first! Hopefully if I get the chance to fish on this special day again, it won't be another blank. 



Magical to be out on a day like this. The blanks are starting to get to me. Hopefully I will catch a Chub soon. Soon, I will be looking back at 2020 and when I do, I will reminisce on the 7 Chub in one session, my best ever session. Today was best in a different way. It was my best ever Christmas day trip!! 

2 comments:

  1. Shame it was a blank but great to be out. Merry Christmas :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same to you Brian. Hopefully be down south in 2021 again!

      Delete