Thursday 24 December 2020

Shortest session ever, it's snow joke!

Date fished 24/12/2020

8am until 10.30am

The plan today was to fish the Swale. Watching the river levels app yesterday, all I saw was a big rise. I was determined to go, I even set the alarm for 5am to check the levels. However, it is now 6am and I just decided not to bother with the river. I will go to the lake at Ryton and see if I can tempt a Pike instead. The river trip may have to wait until tomorrow. 

I drove the short journey to the lake and parked up. As I got out the car, I wondered what the feathers were falling on my head. Looking up, I realised it had started to snow. Unperturbed I walked to the lake. The edges were frozen but there was plenty of water to still fish. Out went the lamprey and I waited. The morning was still, the lake flat. If it wasn't for the snow, I may have said perfect. 


As the snow eased off, I walked around the lake. Soon, the second swim I tried was just as snowy! I walked up and down to keep warm, my rod out over the lake. Just as I turned around a Kingfisher was getting ready to land on my rod, two birds in as many trips! My movement scared the bird and it spun on a sixpence and zoomed off around the lake. 

That's where the adventure stopped. A few more areas also didn't produce any fish. Alot sooner than I intended, as the snow came down heavier it was time for me to go thaw out. 

Short and sweet sums this up, but in reality it was cold and wet!! Nevermind, there is always next time.




 


2 comments:

  1. Can't really blame the pike for not wanting to play in that weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, am not sure I really Wanted to either!!

      Delete