Saturday 6 November 2021

A good walk spoiled

Date fished 6/11/2021

7.15am until 2pm


As you will know, I love a sunrise and sunset time. I was contemplating fishing into dark as I have seen some bigger chub caught after dark, although I enjoy going early morning. If I was to stay at home a bit, I would be scratching the walls to be out fishing. However, now I can fish "all day", given the shorter days. Although if I am to fish a couple of hours into dark, I will need some wader pyjamas!!

I also like to fanny, I mean study the river levels prior to fishing. This first pic shows the levels at Park Bridge, way up in the Yorkshire dales, you will see the spike between Saturday and Sunday. 


In the second picture, this spike is then seen at Catterick Bridge about 30 miles downstream approximately 24 hours later between Sunday and Monday. That is why I look at the levels at Park Bridge the day before I am due to be fishing. 



I had made a fresh batch of cheese paste on Friday afternoon, I also had some meat and worms from previous trips and I was ready. I was planning on walking a fair bit, so just had the 7ft, 1.75lb tc ledger rod, net and terminal tackle. Instead of a straight ledger, I decided to have a small cage feeder with bread crumb in, this would add a little attraction and continue to help me empty the bottom drawer of the freezer. 

I was going to fish a completely new area but thought I would keep that for summer. I headed to the Swale at Morton. Parking up, there was another car already parked. I got my kit and headed to the river. 




In short, I fished cheese paste, meat and worms with nothing. I had a few taps that I think was Cray fish. I think today I got it all wrong. Wrong tactics, wrong swims and wrong bait. I couldn't buy a bite! 
The water was up alot since last time I fished it but was still quite clear. There were swims that looked perfect for float fished maggots, however I was ledgering bigger baits. I just got it all wrong. 




The wind was bitter cold and increased all day, I was sheltered from it most of the time, but when I wasn't it was a menace. The rain came a little at about 12pm but the wind quickly blew it away. At 2pm though it rained heavily and as I was near to the car, I took this as a sign. 

"Nevermind" I said to myself, there is always next time, plus I got out and had a good walk. 




3 comments:

  1. So now you know, the nest time the rivers at that height it'll be ideal for trotting maggots for a blank 🤣🤣🤣🤣

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yeah we think we know the fish better than they know themselves!!
      Maybe they just had a bad day too

      Delete
    2. Yep. They could be just six feet way and can't be bothered to swim across to the bait.

      Delete