Sunday 3 April 2022

4lb average

Date fished 3/4/2022

9.30am until 3pm

Assume you all have windows, eyes and a memory?! So, I wont need to tell you that the weather has gone from 20 degrees to snow the next day! What this must do to wildlife and fish... at least we can simply ( if we can afford it) flick the switch and turn the heating back on. The fish must be freezing mid spawn!

Anyway, it was my birthday end of March, so I treated myself to some new gear. I bought a stack of new swim feeders, Korum supa lite rod saver and a bait pouch - seems the heating will have to be turned off until 2023!  





Small grippa feeders, just 15 and 20g, ideal for small amounts of bread crumb when targeting chub on the rivers.


A nice bit of kit, I bought the two rod version, should be great for roving the rivers or an evening session on the lake.

I had planned to fish with Tom at Tilcon. The pike season finished on 31st March, so there was no need for Tom to be over at Stargate (blanking) anymore! 

We decided to fish a bit later than normal to allow for some warmth. I set off and headed down the a69, soon realising I had left the worms in the fridge, so back I went! Eventually we met at the car park and had a good look at the lake. Armed with pellets and worms, the bream were the target.


We both had two rods in the water in next to no time and were soon sat back, coats off, enjoying the sun. We chatted as the rods lay still, but regular casting had us thinking the fish would be on the feed. We commented on what the average weight of bream is in the lake, we agreed on 4lb. We wanted to see what the largest is and if the lake is netted, we may get a chance. Would be good to know what our quarry is, although the surprise is nice too. 

There were nearly 10 anglers on the lake today, was nice to see. As usual when I fish with Tom, he gets the fish!! True to form, and skill, his rod was away. A quick scoop and a 4lb 1oz bream lay in the net. 

Pellet the bait of choice

We fished on as the sun moved around behind us. The wind was cold but its battle was lost against the sun and we remained warm. When the sun went behind the trees, the wind got its revenge and within minutes, it felt like winter. Loads of knocks on my worm rod enough to keep me warm (ish).

At 1.30pm Tom decided it was time to pack up so he left, I thought I would fish on a short while. I was watching the constant taps on the worm, in truth my worm was being hammered! Then the pellet rod was away, a quick battle, it actually pulled back! And a spirited bream lay in the net. 3lb 15oz

Anticipation.....

Seems I needn't of gone back for the worms!

I fished on until 3pm. The wind was now very much in control and with no more bites and clouds gathering it was soon time for home.


Now, I did do A level maths but I don't thinks it's needed to confirm the average of today's efforts!! 

2 comments:

  1. Sir, you have a commendable pouch. 😅

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha glorified bum bag, but it makes me smile!

      Delete