Saturday 19 March 2022

A is for apple, B is for bream

Date fished 19/3/2022

7.30am until 2.30pm

The curtains closed on running water, with some impressive nets/individual fish caught from the Swale and Tees. I may book the last day of the season off next year, I tend to fish opening day but never closing day. Who's to say its any better or worse on any given year? I just see it as a day off to go fishing!

This closed season (as per the last two), I will be targeting the bream on Tilcon, and probably hooking and being snapped up by carp along the way! They have an amazing ability to be in the weeds before you even get a chance to pick the rod up. 

Preparing for the closed season pushes me towards pellets, the power of pellets:

Pellets in all different sizes and flavours, easy to store, easy to use. A very versatile bait.




I had the ever faithful hybrid feeder to use on the ledger rod and the float rod with a puddle chucker just in case. Along with a plethora of pellets, I had some bread and worms. 


As I drove to the lake the car told me it was four degrees, then 2 degrees. The fog clearly showing me it had been a chilly evening. I arrived at the lake, it was still quite high from water that runs in on the far side. I opted to fish over that side as the sun would be over there in the morning and the wind (that was quite strong) was blowing that way too. 



First cast and I was getting line bites, fish were in the area. I decided to switch from pellet on the band to a worm on the hook. The taps continued. Setting up the float rod was enough to get more interest in the feeder, I was soon ignoring the float and awaiting a three foot twitch. 

I didn't happen quite like that though, a small inch pull. I struck, fish on. Was great to feel a bend in the rod and the usual fight and amazing first sight of a bream soon followed. I never fail to be impressed when I first see them. They look so huge! A quick weigh however gave it only 3lb 13oz, it looked bigger. Was still happy! 



I fished on a little while but as the  sun moved around behind me and the wind picked up, I was soon actually quite cold. I decided to move to the other side. A brisk walk and chat with another angler and a couple of guys doing some maintenance and I was soon warm again. Is always nice to chat to others whilst fishing, I always say the social side is enjoyable.

I fished my old favourite swim for a couple of hours but no luck. it is very different before the lillies have grown. It was much warmer here and I probably didn't need the thermal t shirt, the jacket came off. 

I finished my lunch and before I packed up, I noticed my groundbaiting had worked. I had managed to get the antz (I know!) feeding!! 



8 comments:

  1. Not bad. Given the cold nights and warm days of late it's going to be tough in a shallow lake like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's deeper than you think, especially with an extra 6ft of water. Haven't quite figured it out, but enjoy trying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's some bait there, do you have issues with diving birds?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hardly used any yesterday, in the summer though I can use more. No diving birds on the lake, they sometimes get in the way with floating baits though! They love a dog biscuit.

      Delete
  4. Love puddle chuckers. Once this pesky covid clears off it's chuckers, method feeders and pellets all the way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice one Adam, I usually take some time off at the back end of the season, the rivers are more often than not in a state of flood but fishing until midnight on the 14th is becoming a bit of a tradition for me and is an enjoyable way to end the season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Darren. Maybe next year I will do the same, seems magical to fish to the wire at midnight!

      Delete