Sunday 6 March 2022

First cast

Date fished 6/3/20222

10.30am until 6.30pm

I finally made it back to the Swale after a month. I wanted to fish here since 6/2/2022 but conditions didn't allow. Was it worth it? Let's find out.

I arrived and there was two other cars in the car park, dog walkers I assumed. The full poop bag hanging from the rear bumper gave me my biggest clue. I walked to see the river, it was up but looked good. I checked to see if Shane was fishing, he was not in his usual swim, so unless he fell in I assumed he was not fishing yet. 

I wasn't sure where to fish, so I walked a few swims. I settled on one of my favourites. I fished it Christmas day in 2020 and had my pb Chub from it on Halloween 2019. 


At 11am I cast in, the first cast. It was perfect, I sat back. At 11.06 my rod tapped once, twice. I got ready. It hooped round. I struck, met with thin air! I had missed the first bite. I cast back in and waited some more. 

It's now 16.48 and am sat on the bank typing this, in short- still waiting!

I have fished a few swims, watched the Mink, Kingfisher and Cormorant in the water. Its been a coat off day until about 4pm when the sun started to dip. In truth, fishing earlier was difficult, I forgot my sunglasses and couldn't actually see the rod as the glare from the sun was so bright. 

Home now and writing the rest: I swapped baits but could not tempt another bite. I chatted with another angler whilst we packed our cars, he had only caught Trout on bread and cheesepaste, no Chub. Made me wonder what had been the culprit at 11.06. We will never know. 

I fished until my only companion was high in the sky above me.

Night all. Of course it was worth it. It always is!! 


5 comments:

  1. First cast bite always raises the hopes........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does, thought it was going to be a bumper day. How wrong I was..

      Delete
    2. First cast bite like a first cast fish oft turns to disappointment, sadly.

      Delete
    3. Yes, hoping to make amends tomorrow

      Delete
    4. Good luck and tight lines.

      Delete