Thursday 10 March 2022

Guiding

Date fished 10/03/2022

8am until 1pm 

The parents had come North again, so I offered Davey the usual "guarantee" of catching a fish. I had taken him a few times recently in the hope of getting him a Chub but sadly ending in blanks. Today was different, as I had about a pint of maggots I offered him the guarantee of a Grayling or (he said and) a Chub!! 

We set off early as it is parents evening tonight, me to attend, fortunately not about me! Arriving just as another angler was setting up in the car park, we said some pleasantries and headed to the river. He was fly fishing and was going to fish the area  I wanted to for Grayling. We headed off upstream first, the Grayling would have to wait. Within minutes we were fishing, six passed and no bites, very odd! Some casting practice for Davey, resulted in a lost hooklink. 


After a bite less hour we headed off for a new spot. The fly fisherman had moved so we jumped into the spot. I stepped in the water, only to discover a leak in my thermal wellies now. A wet foot for the rest of the day. 

Davey was soon casting to the same (ish) spot each time, and I was firing out maggots with aplomb. As the jets practiced around us, we fished on. The second Davey looked round to see the planes his float buried. I shouted "strike", he did and the fish was on. He felt the pull and twisting, but sadly it was off just as quick! We persisted until the maggots were all gone, there were some more float disappearances but none as good as the bumped fish. 

We moved to a new spot, determined to change our luck.


Up until now, we had been using meat. I decided to change to a bit of cheese paste. Davey cast in and waited. In a matter of minutes, the rod gave an indication. Davey struck and the rod stayed bent. His first ever Chub, so obviously a pb. Unweighed but a good three and a half pounds I would say. 



We fished on for a little while but no other bites. It was a successful trip, my guiding skills have paid off. I have put two people on their first Chub, same swim too! 

I gave Davey an overall score of "greater depth". 

9 comments:

  1. Well done both of you. I think you've found your new vocation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only shouted at him once!! Don't think that's good guiding etiquette!!

      Delete
    2. Absolutely not. Unless he deserved it.

      Delete
  2. Always great to put someone else onto a fish - nice one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, was rewarding. He still talking about it now!

      Delete
  3. Always get a satisfied feeling when someone else catches when with me, It's one of anglings joys, sharing the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree James. Great to put someone onto a fish or two.

      Delete
  4. Top work - another angling addict in the making!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a fair weather fisherman!! Likes a manicured bank and ghillie, aka me!!

      Delete