Saturday 10 September 2022

£5.50

Date Fished 10/9/2022

8.30am until 1.30pm 

Northern fishing was back on after my exploits down south. What was trying to scupper my fishing was (much needed) rain, two teeth extractions yesterday and the sad passing of HM Queen Elizabeth II. 

All that aside, I planned a Tees trip with Tom, he was new to the club I fish, so it was to be a tour as well as a fishing expedition. The levels were touch and go. I got up at 5am to check, they were OK, so away we went. I collected him via a road closure and we headed to Rambo's so I could buy bait. A pint of reds and a small tub of dendras and we were away. 

Patriotic rod

I was going to float fish and Tom was lure fishing. I fed some maggots and set the rod up. Tom chucked some plastic into the river,  that's lure fishing not littering! 



We leap frogged upstream until I eventually found the fish. With the river being quite high, they were not a rod length out from the bank, more like a match stick length out. 

I caught half a dozen small roach and some even smaller chub. Chub that would be scared by minnows, they were so small. 




Micro chub


Tom had bites, connected but sadly the fish got off. It was promising they were finding his lures, so surely it was only a matter of time. We walked on, me showing Tom the area so he would know for next time. 


As this was an explore combined with fishing, we jumped in the car and I drove to another club stretch. We fished a few swims and was soon separated as I trotted and Tom lured. 

When we finally came back together there was a story. Tom had caught a nice perch but it jumped out the net whilst he was getting ready for a picture. 

We believe him though, a "one that got away" story usually is a 5lb perch not a 0.5lb perch! This is not a nod to the title, just a coincidence. I managed to leave the tackle shop by only spending £5.50!! 


2 comments: