Saturday 28 January 2023

Junior anglers

Date fished 28/01/2023

8am until 1pm

Rupert, Martha and I went fishing, together! What's not to like?  



Rupe wants to catch a few species on the "mission targets" of a magazine. I told him, I could certainly help. Chub was his first pick, I told him we could try but I could get him a grayling. Grayling are not on the list, but he was happy. We took Martha as she is "bait" and headed to the Swale. 




Fortunately they are currently free in this club, it does depend on age. I think more clubs should be free for youngsters ( up to 16 with members), lets just say "they are the future!"

I took them to the swim I fished earlier in the week, I was sure we could catch some grayling from there, if the trout stayed out the way. 




We shared a float rod and a ledger rod. Float for the grayling and ledger for chub, but not in this swim. Rupe was up first. He cast as I fired in maggots. He has not trotted before and was soon into the rhythm and getting bites. It wasn't long before he connected and his first grayling is pictured above! 

Martha was soon wanting a go, they swapped over and she had the helm. The float buried and she was in. This was no grayling though and the fish was off, definitely a trout. The next swap and Rupe hooked and landed a trout. Martha told me " you just unhook it in water and not take pictures" she must read this blog or be the trout police!!?? 




Her next go was met with resistance, a bigger fish but I didn't think trout. Her grayling making Rupe's look like a baby! (Her words!) 




Not to be outdone, Rupe kept fishing. I was now just watching as he did everything on his own. His next fish being a much better grayling. Martha's photography skills need more work! 

Thanks Martha, we have heads! 

I took this one


After some hot juice and a snack, we (they) decided that float fishing was completed. Now to try christen Rupe's new ledger rod with a chub. We walked upstream to where I hoped we would find some. 

Rupe setting up


Martha wanting a go

Swap the rod for a doughnut!? 

Happy angler 

No chub here so we moved on to another swim. It was slightly drizzling and although the hand warmers were working well, some cold feet were being described. 





I taught Rupe the lesson here that, a fish will always take the bait when you are distracted! I cast in the ledgered cheesepaste and he sat watching whilst I told him this lesson. He then hooked a fish but lost it, we didn't see it but hoped chub. Next, whilst Rupe was eating a sandwich, another bite ( proof of said lesson). Taking line, this fish came off too. I took the rod and waited. Within minutes, the rod went again. Rupe took over and played the much larger fish to the net. It christened his ledger rod, but was not the chub he wanted. A huge trout, 3lb plus. 

After another quick go downstream, we decided it was time to head home. I have fished this club water for 10 years and rarely seen many younger anglers. As we packed up another angler walked past with two young kids accompanying him too. I was amazed, but glad I had seen some more future anglers! 


2 comments:

  1. Well done all. Nice to see the kids aren't just fair weather fishers.

    ReplyDelete