Saturday 7 January 2023

MMXXIII

Date fished 7/1/2023
10.30am until 2pm 

The year started with spending! There is a financial crisis going on, so of course it did! Last year ended with getting Christmas money, so there is a balance.
Earlier this week, I gave some of my blood away ( I do have a pic, but won't post for the squeamish) and then hot footed it to Washington, to a relatively new tackle shop that has opened there.  One of the big online ones, that I have used frequently for years. Whats it's name? 


I only needed one thing but came out the shop having bought thousands!! Admittedly the thousands were individual maggots! The one big item was needed though. 


It was a great shop and I will definitely be back soon. 

The rain continued to fall and the river rose, I wondered if I would get out before going back to work on the 9th. 




My tackle has been on the table since my last trip and I think my daughter has been "sorting" it for me! 


Anyway, I needed to get out today, so with the rivers looking flooded I headed to Tilcon for a few hours. I had the float rod, some maggots and a few worms. I just wanted to have a chill and if some fish came long, that would be a bonus. 

I set up in the deep corner, it was fairly mild at 10 degrees and with no wind the lake was like a mill pond. I fed some maggots and cast my float amongst them. Nothing happened for a good while, but I was happy. 



Soon the rain came, not heavy enough for the umbrella. I just put my hood up and sat it out. It felt great to be out and apart from the non disappearing float, it was all going well. 



I continued to feed with the catapult, I was glad I remembered it this time! I had another feeding tool with me today though. Something I have had for years, brought from AD and never used. I have always wanted too but never seem to remember it. Well, it was used today and am not gonna lie, I had a massive grin on my face when I reeled it in and it was open and still on the end!! 



I cast around a fair but as I was not feeding too accurately. Am not the best winter stillwater angler, but I try. I cast to a new spot and as I watched, the float bobbed under. I struck and although minimal resistance, a fish was on. A fish, just! 


My first fish of 2023 and it was a tiddler. I cast to the same spot and continued to feed. Then disaster, my new catapult broke. I brought a new one because the last one also broke. I must be an over zealous catapulter!? 
I could no longer get bait to the spot I wanted so I cast closer and fed by hand. A superb cast and the worm bait was exactly where I wanted it. 
A matter of seconds and the float shot under. This was a better fish, it pulled back and I was soon getting it into the net. This was better. 




The feeding was definitely working as this perch who was caught on worm, had been having a maggot starter. 




The wind picked up and casting was difficult. A few snags later and I decided it was time to pack up and head home. I had not blanked and 2023 was underway with a couple of perch.

Just between you and me, I  was going to call this blog 'spare' as I never bring any spare parts if something breaks and my catapult is pretty much just spare parts now! But I didn't want to be sued, stabbed in the back (actually with a dog bowl or metaphorically), have my necklace broken or killed. But that's enough topical shenanigans!! 




6 comments:

  1. Not a bad start. Bait droppers can be very useful in still waters if you're trying to keep the fish on the bottom. You do know you can only use those waders while standing in the water holding a carp😃😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha will defer the carp holding but hopefully some Swale Chub in the summer.
      Want to use the baitdropper on the river, one day maybe!

      Delete
  2. New year off and running - nice perch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brian. Couldn't leave it just with the tiddler. Better than a blank!

      Delete